automation not working (Help please)

michael2

so i was doing a track and wanted it to fade out. I don't usually do that and wanted to make it quick. i remember reading a post that you could go into the mixer window, and put the output 1-2 on READ. then it will show up in your arrange window and be automatable. tried it and it showed up in the middle of all my tracks and automation wouldn't work anymore on this song.

when I hit automation, the only track that will go into automation mode is the output 1-2. i tried turning it back to off, but still the same. can I just delete the output track and then put in another one? not sure what to do. i feel like a total dummy.here's some pics.

without automation on (why is that stereo out track there)?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/moxie39/Picture1-11.png

here's what it looks like when I hit automation:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/moxie39/Picture3-1.png

2 things to remember.

1. The reason your Stereo Out is sitting in the middle of your track list in the Arrange window is probably because in your Mixer window at the top you have the option to view in various ways. Try them out to see how they differ.

2. Your Automation is only showing on your Stereo Out track because it is zoomed in more than the other tracks. If you resize all the tracks you'll find the Automation lanes appear correctly.

2 things to remember.

1. The reason your Stereo Out is sitting in the middle of your track list in the Arrange window is probably because in your Mixer window at the top you have the option to view in various ways. Try them out to see how they differ.

2. Your Automation is only showing on your Stereo Out track because it is zoomed in more than the other tracks. If you resize all the tracks you'll find the Automation lanes appear correctly.

Two things to remember:

1. I knew this was going to be so simple, I would really feel like an idiot.

2. I knew someone would help me out here, so feeling like an idiot was worth it.

Thanks a bunch.

The good thing about feeling like an idiot? It usually happens once your problem is resolved.

How do I know you ask...? Well... huh.... hey, we've all been there. :lol:

excellent point. now can someone break down that process of plugging a bass into a guitar? maybe a video tutorial would be nice. :D