Gain/Sidechains/Dynamics

Guest saco12311

Im not Sure on how to ask this question so bear with me! I am working on a session for Live performance, and the first 33 bars are simple rhythm synths and shakers which have compression, delays, reverbs! It's sounds really good with lots of warmth and dynamics in the sound! But then starting at bar 34, the beat kicks in which has a low tempo dancy rhythm which is side-chaining the bass and the rest of my percussion in it! The synths that are playing throughout the whole session loses it warmth, dynamics, and gain when bar 34 kicks in! I have the synth start sidechaing at bar 34 when the kic drum hits! Would I need to have the synth be sidechained in the beginning of the session?

what are your settings for your side chain? What are you trying to achive with the side chain do you want the pumping sound or are you just trying to get the elements to sit together.

If your pumping everything to the max through the side chain you are going to loose the sound your after. Have you tried it without sidechaining? I know its a great function but it's not always needed. Or if you do what it try playing around with your threshold for different effect.

thanx will, I think i got it! I was pumpin it real hard at starting at bar 34, so i brought down the threshold alittle bit and put the gain up on my master compressor starting at bar 34! BUT, i wana achieve the same level throughout the whole song, is there another way of doing it?

what you can do is double the kick track but start the second kick track from the start. set the out put to "no output" and use that as your side chain then you will have the effect through the whole track even when the kick is not playing (from 1-34)

I hope this helps just buzz me agin if you need some more info

i just wanted to point out the knee feature... when your not trying to make things pump, a hard knee can often help to just make things sit... obviously with the other parameters in desired settings. took me a while to realize that... also.. i believe VCA compressors are a little faster than opto... can someone confirm?