Using 2 IMacs for Logic.

This is exactly what I want to do! I have researched networking, etc and can't seem to find out how it might work. The reason I want to do this is I have an extra iMac and the screen is so much better than the flat screen TV I am using for my second monitor.

There may be an issue with running Logic on 2 desktops since the license is only for 1 desktop and 1 laptop.

I just wish there was a way to use the 2nd iMac as a MONITOR, not as a node, etc.

I just want the second monitor with good resolution.

A quick google search leads me to believe that there isn't any software available that allows a second imac to act as a second display for a first.

you could buy a second display and plug it into the one imac, then if you want to use another mac for node or whatever then get a cheap mac mini.

cheapest imac = $1199

24" cinema display = $899

cheapest mini = $599

= $2697

OR

i just checked the specs for the new imacs:

Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately). 27-inch models also support input from external DisplayPort sources (adapters sold separately).

So you could probably connect the display out of imac#1 to the displayport of imac#2, thus getting dual screens for imac#1. Min cost of this with base spec 27" imacs = $3398

OR

You could also get a single mac pro with 2 screens ($2499 + $899 + $899 = $4297)

so depending on your budget, you could be spending between $2700 and $4300.

I'd look into using VEPro from Vienna Ensemble. You could host VIs on the second iMac and use Ethernet to get a very low latency connection to your main iMac. VEPro from what I've read is really a great product. It is on my wish list for Christmas. :)

-Kevin

Archived