Ultrabeat: More drum kits out there?

Hi there,

this is my first post. I am sure this question has been asked before somewhere, but I could not find any.

I am looking for more drum kits for ultrabeat, especially electronic kits. Is there anything available? There is one kit from http://www.9soundware.com/ called drum key. Any opinions about that?

Ultrabeat is really cool, I think. But for electronic music the presets are limited. I tried Native Instruments Battery 3 as a drum machine. But there is no sequenzer for it.

What are you using?

Best wishes,

mucke

Don't forget you can load any samples you like into Ultrabeat so you can just use any sample library and construct a custom kit.

Thanks for the hint!

Yes, I know that. I have two sample drum library CDs. But it is sooo time consuming to listen to hundreds of files, add one or another to ultrabeat, check it and do it again. Maybe this is how you make music these days. But I would love to have some pre-configured sets to make music and not configuring ultrabeat.

What do you think? Nevertheless it would be interesting to hear about some good samples I can get.

Best wishes & thanks!

You could go really far with UltraBeat by processing the existing kits with the UI provided.

I agree that sometimes it is tedious to start a project with no drum kits available, for example no Simmons sounds for UltraBeat, but you got to do what you got to do if you have the vision... Might be that you should use RMIV or Battery in case you are a preset-centric drum machine user.

Don't forget you can load any samples you like into Ultrabeat so you can just use any sample library and construct a custom kit.

Thanks for the hint!

Yes, I know that. I have two sample drum library CDs. But it is sooo time consuming to listen to hundreds of files, add one or another to ultrabeat, check it and do it again. Maybe this is how you make music these days. But I would love to have some pre-configured sets to make music and not configuring ultrabeat.

What do you think? Nevertheless it would be interesting to hear about some good samples I can get.

Best wishes & thanks!

Building a sample library is like putting together a garage, tool-wise. It will take forever to get everything where you want it, but when it's there, you'll be that much faster and handier at doing what's asked of you.

I too often use preconfigured kits, because there are other parts of my music

I wish to focus on, I'm not particularly good at creating kits, and there is never

enough time.

In any case, Utrabeat is an amazing piece - there are a ton of features to tweak.

However, I have been unable to create a multisample e.g. velocity switched,

sound; though I'm pretty sure the supplied kits do this. Maybe I'm missing

something.

-Wayne

i know you have tried battery but if the sequencer is the only thing holding you back you are missing out on an excellent library embedded in an excellent plug

battery 3 + synthetic drums 2 is a fantastic set for electronic stuff

learn to set up the hyper editor as a drum editor and you're onto a winner

i know you have tried battery but if the sequencer is the only thing holding you back you are missing out on an excellent library embedded in an excellent plug

battery 3 + synthetic drums 2 is a fantastic set for electronic stuff

learn to set up the hyper editor as a drum editor and you're onto a winner

Thank you,

I never used hyper editor. But I know I like the sequencer in Ultrabeat. Battery was by far not as intuitive to use as ultrabeat is. But probably I should give it a try...

Thanks for the hint!

Best wishes & thanks!

Building a sample library is like putting together a garage, tool-wise. It will take forever to get everything where you want it, but when it's there, you'll be that much faster and handier at doing what's asked of you.

Maybe you are right ;-) Probably I should build and tweak my own kit how I want it. I am relatively new to electronic music and beats (I use Logic for guitar/voice recordings most of the time) and there is soooo much you have to learn. How could anybody have the time to do this right? ;-)

Heaven forbid, making music should be time-consuming these days eh?

:P

Oldsidecar's implication here is that the musician is lazy if they seek prepackaged drum samples other than those provided with Logic. Ridiculous.

Would you build your own guitar, or have Bob Collings do it for you for money? Would you build your own Fender Rhodes? Steinway? Of course not. You would buy these instruments, not build them.

Music can be time-consuming, but the question is, where would you rather spend your time: building better instruments or building better songs? Of course you can do both, but many of us would rather play the piano (or drum set) rather than build it.

I, too, would like to extend Logic's drums. For me, I would like all the Beatle's drum sounds in a library, ready to go. Ringo's dishtowels in place, cardboard boxes, whatever they used. I think there is a lack of "natural" sounding, naturally reacting drum kits. I have no desire to build-my-own. But I will buy the sampled set, if someone else makes it.

Oldsidecar's implication here is that the musician is lazy if they seek prepackaged drum samples other than those provided with Logic. Ridiculous.

Would you build your own guitar, or have Bob Collings do it for you for money? Would you build your own Fender Rhodes? Steinway? Of course not. You would buy these instruments, not build them.

Music can be time-consuming, but the question is, where would you rather spend your time: building better instruments or building better songs? Of course you can do both, but many of us would rather play the piano (or drum set) rather than build it.

I, too, would like to extend Logic's drums. For me, I would like all the Beatle's drum sounds in a library, ready to go. Ringo's dishtowels in place, cardboard boxes, whatever they used. I think there is a lack of "natural" sounding, naturally reacting drum kits. I have no desire to build-my-own. But I will buy the sampled set, if someone else makes it.

You can get a decent sounding Ringo Kit if you purchase BFD 2. No carboard samples, but his actaul kit was sampled and it sounds great.

That's a very good point, jameslemay@mac.com. But I believe the real answer is somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. If I buy a musical instrument, I still have to invest a fair amount of time into learning how to get the best sound out of it. Whether that means selecting the best skins and tuning for a drumkit or pickup and bridge positions and amp settings for an electric guitar. This is true for virtual instruments as well, even sample based ones. There's no way the sound designer, or an instrument builder for that fact, can know the exact musical context you intend to use it in. So the more geek features that a builder/developer can build into the instrument, the better you can adapt it to your expressive needs. Sample substitution is one of those tools, particularly for drum kits.

There's also work context too. A composer/producer who has to churn out 3 commercial jingles a day has different needs from the creative individual who is developing a unique sound for themselves, or the film composer that's looking for increased realism. The good news is that there are so many options and samples available now, but just the act of exploring those can be an incredible time-eater. We can't win.

i don't want to flame you, or start anything, but I think that's a little harsh. You know as well as I do that if you can do something quicker and achieve the same end result as if you were to go about it a different route, you would opt for the quicker road so that you can spend more time on creativity instead of engineering.

People think in different ways. If he's like me, maybe he wants to focus on the creative aspect ONLY while building a song and then afterwards concentrate on the fine tuning, more analytical side of the coin. Maybe he wants these sound libraries to offer different sound opportunities to inspire said creativity.

Just my two cents. No offense meant =)

[edit] ahh - I see others have already pounced =P sorry. just saw the post and reacted.