Monitor reverb in headphones while tracking? [SOLVED]

roderick

In a nutshell:

You'll need to set up a cue (headphone) mix setting up a row of pre-fader sends on your channel strips to bus to an aux channel. You'll also need to set up another row of sends to another aux with reverb. Set the outputs of both aux channels to an unused stereo pair on your audio interface, say outputs 3&4. Paych those outputs to your headphones either by an internal patch on your AI or by physically outputting them to a separate headphone amp. Oh, and if you want the performer to hear the click, you'll need to select the click's output in the in the metronome settings to go to the same headphone outputs on your AI.

By using both send rows you will be able to set up a completely independent headphone mix with reverb that will be totally unaffected by your monitor mix!

This is a lot easier to show than it is to explain! Good luck!

Oh, Logic 303 Tips and Tricks 2 covers this in detail on video 28... here's a link:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9303tnt2

Thanks but is this possible to do with the Apogee Duets outputs?

Had you included your setup in your signature I would have been less long winded. You can't do what I laid out above with an Apogee Duet.

Ok solution #2: On the singer's channel strip create a send to an aux that has reverb in one of its inserts. Then turn up the send level.

Simple, eh?

+1! I love watching Steve's videos. Well worth the monthly purchase. I promise you, you will get "Wheels" stuck in your head.

Having bought and watched the mastering tutorials, that song seems to pop into my head all the time! It normally happens at a tense moment, like in a meeting or something! But you know what, it reminds me of what I was actually learning at the time, so it's all good!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks but is this possible to do with the Apogee Duets outputs?

Had you included your setup in your signature I would have been less long winded. You can't do what I laid out above with an Apogee Duet.

Ok solution #2: On the singer's channel strip create a send to an aux that has reverb in one of its inserts. Then turn up the send level.

Simple, eh?

Wow, that's much easier than the first explanation. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

There's also a way i've found to have reverb when you're using direct monitoring (i.e. via your interface outputs):

- Make sure Software Monitoring is turned on.

- Set up a channel with the same input as the one you're recording into.

- Put that channel into Input Monitor Mode and insert a reverb plugin set 100% wet.

- Bring down the fader to reduce the amount of reverb.

- Arm your recording track and mute it so you're only hearing the direct monitoring signal while recording.

The reverb will techically be the reverb of the latent signal, so you might not want to be tracking drums using a room reverb, but if you just want something longer and lusher (on vocals perhaps) then it's just a slightly longer pre-delay!

8)