How can I fake feedback for guitar?[SOLVED]

Ebow is a great way to fake it. I do it all the time. Sounds great. Especially when you start layering it on. Then ride the fader.

I've also faked it with a synth plugin going into an amp simulator. Probably especially convincing with the new pedalboard plugins.

Ebows definetly most natural. It's almost the same thing.

Or buy one of those moog guitars! :)

wow, that is a great idea fader8. I never would have thought of that. thanks. now maybe I can get some going on chards.

i have a few guitars, so sometimes i'm using single coil, sometimes humbuckers. why? you have another idea shivermetimbers?

wow, that is a great idea fader8. I never would have thought of that. thanks. now maybe I can get some going on chards.

Cool. You'll like it. Even if you just run it in parallel with another amp that you like, you can experiment with different simulations and their settings to really alter the "flavour" of the feedback. Just watch out, things can get WAY out of control if you're not careful! BTW, If you set it just right, you can get that feedback-fades-in-as-the-guitar-decays effect.

I don't think you can "offline" bounce with this with predictable results. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

I don't think you can "offline" bounce with this with predictable results. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

that's what I was wondering, if not that's cool. i can always just go for it live. or maybe use Audio Hijack and then just drop it in a track and edit. thanks again.

that's what I was wondering, if not that's cool. i can always just go for it live. or maybe use Audio Hijack and then just drop it in a track and edit. thanks again.

You don't need Audio Hijack. You can record to an audio track from any bus you like within Logic. But I think it works fine in an online bounce.

You don't need Audio Hijack. You can record to an audio track from any bus you like within Logic. But I think it works fine in an online bounce.

excellent, thanks a bunch.

Send the signal to a bus. On the aux return channel that appears, insert Amp Designer. Now send that signal to the same bus. Automate that send to control the amount. See the pic.

It isn't really "fake" feedback, it's actual feedback!

This isn't working for me.

I've tried:

A. Channel strip with Amp Designer output to Stereo Out using a send to Bus 1. The resulting Aux with Amp Designer sending to itself.

B. Channel strip with Amp Designer output to Bus 1. The resulting Aux with Amp Designer sending to itself.

Both methods result in a comb filtered sound at low "sending to itself" levels and a high pitched whine cacophony at higher "sending to itself" levels. Using a Les Paul with humbuckers (not microphonic). This guitar will do the good kind of feedback through a real amp...like a beeeaatch! I tried several different amp models in Amp Designer on both the original channel strip and the Aux......same thing.

Am I missing something?

Both methods result in a comb filtered sound at low "sending to itself" levels

Make sure plug-in delay compensation is set to "All" in the prefs. Don't try playing through this live, use a guitar recording on a track.

The timbre of the feedback can be controlled easily by EQ'ing (use linear phase EQ if parallel processing) and compressing to various degrees on the in and/or out side of the amp sim on the aux. Try Distortion II as well, or maybe a delay, etc. Yeah, it's tricky to replicate the transfer function of speaker through pickups and back around again using plug-ins, but you can get some interesting stuff happening if you're diligent. It's also handy to have a physical fader to ride that level and write automation with. Riding the frequency of a peaking filter in the chain can be cool too.

Try setting up parallel Amp Designers, one direct and the other set to feedback, heavily compressed and more heavily distorted. Try a comp in the feedback loop and externally key its sidechain to the source track too.

Make sure plug-in delay compensation is set to "All" in the prefs. Don't try playing through this live, use a guitar recording on a track.

The timbre of the feedback can be controlled easily by EQ'ing (use linear phase EQ if parallel processing) and compressing to various degrees on the in and/or out side of the amp sim on the aux. Try Distortion II as well, or maybe a delay, etc. Yeah, it's tricky to replicate the transfer function of speaker through pickups and back around again using plug-ins, but you can get some interesting stuff happening if you're diligent. It's also handy to have a physical fader to ride that level and write automation with. Riding the frequency of a peaking filter in the chain can be cool too.

Try setting up parallel Amp Designers, one direct and the other set to feedback, heavily compressed and more heavily distorted. Try a comp in the feedback loop and externally key its sidechain to the source track too.

Plug-in delay compensation was set to "All".

I tried playing through it live and using a guitar recording on a track.

No go.

?

I'll keep at it and see if I can get anything happening.

The demo videos of THIS seem really cool.

Plug-in delay compensation was set to "All".

I tried playing through it live and using a guitar recording on a track.

No go.

?

I'll keep at it and see if I can get anything happening.

The demo videos of THIS seem really cool.

i was checking that out too. not sure that I can rationalize the purchase though; I do still have an amp after all. :D