Two questions about layout

torsig1967

1. I'm planning on using two keyboard controllers which both have a lot of knobs. I find I'm running out of space in the layout. I've now about 100 hundred knobs but I need room for one more keyboard and some 50 more knobs. The only option I guess is to make the knobs really small, or are there any other options like paging or anything like that?

2. Is there any way to make layouts change when changing patches?

1. I'm planning on using two keyboard controllers which both have a lot of knobs. I find I'm running out of space in the layout. I've now about 100 hundred knobs but I need room for one more keyboard and some 50 more knobs. The only option I guess is to make the knobs really small, or are there any other options like paging or anything like that?

Why do you need that many knobs at any given time? Do you really have to change 100 parameters at any given time?

2. Is there any way to make layouts change when changing patches?

No.

Why do you need that many knobs at any given time? Do you really have to change 100 parameters at any given time?

Since the layout is fixed (as you say) I can't see how to take advantage of my hardware (two midicontrollers) in any other way. Going on changing layouts all the time seems very unpractical.

I was planning to assign as many parameters as possible in the plugins to make all editing in the hardware (I do a lot of editing in plugins). So if I have two controllers and two plugins 150 parameters isn't that much.

@Doug Z which mapping can I change per patch? From hardware to layout or from layout to plugin, or both?

If you have that many knobs on your setup, the basic fix I've heard of is to run two laptops, one for each controller. I'm running a controller with 4 pedals, pitch and mod controls, and a VAX77 keyboard.

The knob controller I'm using is a Korg nanoKontrol - very reliable and effective. It has 9 sliders which I'm always using for Hammond patches, 24 buttons, and 9 knobs. The right four knobs are always set up to control the volume of 4 mics. The other five remap depending on the patch. 18 of the buttons are used as patch selectors, and the remaining six are hooked up as a recording toggle, panic button, and four Hammond controllers.

I modified a Fender Volume/Tone pedal to give me control of two pedals at the same time (very nice - use 10k linear pots.) A Roland continuous damper rounds out the mix. One pedal is reserved for a knob on my lead singer's mic.

If you have that many knobs on your setup, the basic fix I've heard of is to run two laptops, one for each controller.

Yes, that sounds like the best idea for one or two controllers extra.

However, my idea was to run Mainstage like a multitimbral synth/sampler with a MPC1000 sequencer so there are several midi channles. I can't buy one computer for each midichannel.

Anyway, I've now decided to use only EXS24 from Logic's plugins and then concentrate on third party plugins that responds to Midi CC directly for other purposes. For these all I have to do is a mapping on my midicoontroller, using that mapping I can put them anywhere in Mainstage since they don't need controller assgnments.

(Actually ES1, EVP88 and a few more also responds directly to midi CC so I can skip assignments for these too.)