Transferring Old Macbook Pro Programs to my new iMac

Hey Guys,

I ordered my new i7 iMac 27 inch on Monday and I received it today. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer all of my settings, documents, programs/software from my old Macbook Pro to my new iMac? Is it possible to do this without having to re-install Logic and all my other audio and music productions programs. It would take forever to re-install my Logic and all my AU. Is there a way I can do that. Please let me know what if I can. Thanks in advance.

Mine took around 3-4 hours if I remember correctly, went from Macbook Pro to Macbook Pro via firewire cable, I think there was a wireless option, but that would take forever. Everything worked like a charm, had new OS and all my old stuff, save for a thing here or there that needed an upgrade.

Now days I use this; 8) Not that you need it, but sure comes in handy with a new machine.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/

and keep a couple of 500GB 7200RPM drives in external cases for backups and get right up and running again if needed for the Macbooks. And I buy double (redundant) drives now they are so cheap 1TB's were $75.00 or less today 10-05-19, for the 3.5" desktop drive boxes.

For software; Carbon Copy on the Macs, Acronis on the PC gets the job done no hassle. And once you have a running system with all your apps, is a good time to do a clone for emergency replacement needs (nothing like having a dead computer go to a working one with all your software installed and ready to load your working files.

Enjoy the new mac I am thinking of getting an iMac 27" this year (maybe). :?

Iv got a Mac time machine and all you have to do with that is load up the new imac and select something like use existing settings from time machine, it takes forever depending on how much stuff you have on it. i think this will work with a normal external hard drive too

Mine took around 3-4 hours if I remember correctly, went from Macbook Pro to Macbook Pro via firewire cable, I think there was a wireless option, but that would take forever. Everything worked like a charm, had new OS and all my old stuff, save for a thing here or there that needed an upgrade.

Now days I use this; 8) Not that you need it, but sure comes in handy with a new machine.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/

and keep a couple of 500GB 7200RPM drives in external cases for backups and get right up and running again if needed for the Macbooks. And I buy double (redundant) drives now they are so cheap 1TB's were $75.00 or less today 10-05-19, for the 3.5" desktop drive boxes.

Hey thanks for the info. I actually use

migration assistant to transfer my old MacBook Pro setting to

the new i5 iMac. All program and software were transferred over but everything needs to be authorize and serials to be added. Also how did you get your CPU to read your tascam fw-1082? Logic or my computer won't recognize my tascam fw1082z I read that there's no drivers for it and it won't work with snow. Can you let me know how you got it to work with yours.

For software; Carbon Copy on the Macs, Acronis on the PC gets the job done no hassle. And once you have a running system with all your apps, is a good time to do a clone for emergency replacement needs (nothing like having a dead computer go to a working one with all your software installed and ready to load your working files.

Enjoy the new mac I am thinking of getting an iMac 27" this year (maybe). :?

Hey thanks for the info. I actually used

the new i5 iMac. All program and software were transferred over but everything needs to be authorize and serials to be added. Also how did you get your CPU to read your tascam fw-1082? Logic or my computer won't recognize my tascam fw1082z I read that there's no drivers for it and it won't work with snow. Can you let me know how you got it to work with yours. My m-audio Axiom 61 controller doesont even work. Logic and Audio/midi setup can't find it or recognize it. This situation has been a nightmare for me. I'm hoping I get the information and help

to get everything up and going and working.

• 1 month later...
Hey thanks for the info. I actually used

the new i5 iMac. All program and software were transferred over but everything needs to be authorize and serials to be added. Also how did you get your CPU to read your tascam fw-1082? Logic or my computer won't recognize my tascam fw1082z I read that there's no drivers for it and it won't work with snow. Can you let me know how you got it to work with yours. My m-audio Axiom 61 controller doesont even work. Logic and Audio/midi setup can't find it or recognize it. This situation has been a nightmare for me. I'm hoping I get the information and help

to get everything up and going and working.

Sorry I missed this message and took forever to see it again.

I used the Tascam Install from Tascam, nothing special;

http://www.tascam.com/products/fw-1082.html

The disc that came with it is probably fine but mine was really old. SL upgrade made no difference to my FW-1082. I do hook it up via the FW800 to 400 cable and into the computer, I have an ExpressCard for 2 more FW800 ports for hard drives.