AES Conference Toronto and Logic

rmd

Just finished a two day AES conference in Toronto where we had four panels of 5 speakers each talking about the small to medium studio market. We had film people, mixers, mastering engineers, composers. Of all those people most where using Logic. Next was Nuendo, then Cubase. What I am most surprised at was there was only one ProTools user. All these discussions could also have quickly deteriorated into a PT bash session if we allowed it. There is quite a lot of dislike for what is the industry standard. Suffice to say if all our current options were around 10 years ago I am sure PT would not be the standard today. Having said that, even though it may be the standard, there are many who will go through the extra work to port over stems to another DAW, just not to work in PT.

Amazing, for what is supposed to be the standard.

best,

rob

Amazing, for what is supposed to be the standard.

Never been my standard. Lots of DP people never use it as their standard either. Funny, back in the day there was no standard board or tape machine. There's enough of a choice out there of DAWs for people to choose their own standard.

And I've rarely seen PT fail while I've seen Logic fail miserably over the course of many years. But it's still my choice of DAW. In fact, I'm married to it. So truly, dislike of a DAW is not exclusive to PT. Or Logic. Or DP. Or...

True enough, there are enough things in each program that people would like to see improve. I suppose i was more taken aback by the overwhelming consensus that PT was NOT the DAW they wanted to work in even if it meant more work to port things over.

Best,

rob

Well we really didn't let the discussion digress into a PT bash, but some of the points made were:

1. No offline bounce

2. pay extra for MP3 export

3. pay extra for OMF

4. obvious software features disabled in LE to encourage purchase of HD

5. Sound of the mixer not as good as other DAW's. Suspect math?

6. for the film composers the obvious midi limitations

7. another liked audio editing in PT but enjoyed more the flexibility in Logic GUI

I think what we heard most was that users could get better sounding mixes with more features in others DAW's at fraction of what PT costs.

best,

rob