How come the mixer window's different than the regular mixer

riggidy

regular mixer = the one under the arrange section

what i mean is, lets say i opened a multi timbral instrument and added aux channels to it, in the mixer window the aux channels stick to the main instrument channel which is GREAT! that's how i want it, BUT in the mixer under the arrange section the aux channels don't stick to the main instrument channel. they show up at the end of the line (as the last channels in the mixer).

Is it possible to make both mixer actually look the same?

It's the same mixer! why should it be arranged differently?

It's the same mixer! why should it be arranged differently?

Maybe because people basically have two different preferences for how the mixer window should behave, and by having two solutions which don't behave the same way, both groups may choose the one they like the best?

I only use the Mixer - not the mixer objects in the Environment window (which you call the Mixer window).

If 30 different tracks sends to the same reverb, eg on Aux 5, and the idea about placing all the Auxes next to the channel which sends to it - how should this be solved? It doesn't make sense to show the same Aux 30 times....

Pardon my ignorance, but how do other DAWs solve this?

The problem is that, in order to try to build in automatic routing, logic tries to guess where the various aux, subs and multi instruments channel strips should go instead of just leaving them in the order in which they were created. For example if you create aux channels and then activate the automation on those channels, the channels will often jump to a new location.

None of this would be so much of an issue if you could either re-arrange channels in the mixer where you are allowed to select multiple channels, or if you could select and move multiple channels in the arrange window.

This might require both mixer windows and arrange window to truly reflect one another which in many ways they don't currently do. For example if you hide the aux channels in the arrange window the aux channels don't hide in the mixer even if you have the "Arrange" tab selected. The other major DAWs are a bit more friendly about keeping the mixer and arrange/edit windows organized.

I've learned to deal with it but it is a little frustrating at times. Really well thought out templates can negate most of these problems but they are not always practical.

For me It's not usually a major deal,but I've just finished a long weekend of working in a situation where my templates did not apply and had to spend a lot of mouse moves with this issue.

I would like to see this streamlined a bit.

ml

The problem is that, in order to try to build in automatic routing, logic tries to guess where the various aux, subs and multi instruments channel strips should go instead of just leaving them in the order in which they were created. For example if you create aux channels and then activate the automation on those channels, the channels will often jump to a new location.

That's because when you choose an automation mode for an Aux channel strip, it has to create a track for it in the Arrange area. At that point the position of that track determines the position of its channel strip in the Mixer when you're in "Arrange" mode. If you reorder the track in the Arrange area, your Mixer channel strips will be reordered accordingly.

None of this would be so much of an issue if you could either re-arrange channels in the mixer where you are allowed to select multiple channels...

And you can. It's something you've been able to do since the earliest days of Logic. You do this by creating Environment layers and move the desired objects (or copies of them) into those layers. This lets you see only what you want to see for any given circumstance. For example, seeing a view of a multi-timbral instrument and its associated auxes, as seen in the screenshot below:

At left we see the main environment Mixer layer where I've highlighted Inst #1 (multi-timbral EXS) and two Auxes. I then copied those objects and selected a new layer I created called "Inst 1 MT" (at right). Then I pasted them into that layer specifically for the purpose of seeing only those objects and never anything else.

Unlike the Mixer view, that environment view will never change unless you deliberately change it. And all that's required to access it is to open up the Environment page and select that layer. Two clicks. Or, one key command followed by selecting that layer with the mouse. Or call up a screenset showing that view.

And when working with layers you can arrange channel strips any way you damn please, unlike the regular Mixer page. :evil:

Ta da.

784369713_Picture24.jpg.e4ef79addf94f4990aeec13a0c227eb7.jpg