Need to reverse explicit vocals to clean up file [SOLVED]

iJammer

Okay, the Logic 9 User manual has very few words to spare on this subject. I have a song with explicit lyrics and I want to single out the few words and reverse them. The typical "ish" effect.

However, once I select the section of the file and go to Functions > Reverse in the Sample Editor I find the Reverse option is grayed out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

Screenshot below shows selection and grayed out Reverse function.

1752124764_Screenshot2010-05-21at11_06_20PM.png.aa9e7f5575e3f270f588a658cf4b3c05.png

Screenshot showing selection and grayed out Reverse function

Awesome! Thanks for pointing me to that thread. As soon as I learned it was a bug, I took the standard 'scientific method' approach and figured out what worked. ;-)

Here's what I did:

• Deleted the region

• Deleted the track

• Saved my project

• Closed Logic

• File was in MPEG-4 (m4a) format so I converted it to MP3 in the Finder

• Re-opened Logic

• Dragged the new MP3 file directly from the Finder into the Arrange window

voila!

I also duplicated this post on the other thread for those who find it there.

Thanks again!

Awesome! Thanks for pointing me to that thread. As soon as I learned it was a bug, I took the standard 'scientific method' approach and figured out what worked. ;-)

Here's what I did:

• Deleted the region

• Deleted the track

• Saved my project

• Closed Logic

• File was in MPEG-4 (m4a) format so I converted it to MP3 in the Finder

• Re-opened Logic

• Dragged the new MP3 file directly from the Finder into the Arrange window

voila!

I also duplicated this post on the other thread for those who find it there.

Thanks again!

And then, after converting the lossy-compressed m4a file to a further-compressed MP3, you should convert the MP3 to a RealAudio file, then record it onto a MiniDisc, dub that onto a microcassette, play it onto your mobile phone memo function, then finally record it back into Logic from your phone with a microphone.

iJammer, thank you for posting back with details on how you managed to fix the problem. So the conclusion we can draw here is that an m4a file can't be processed by Logic, but mp3 audio can. Interesting bit of business, and something that's likely to help out someone else researching this problem on this forum.

Thanks again.

LOL, Matt Mayfield. I feel your pain but, as I'm currently only working on an hour-long mix of high-energy tracks for a cardio kickboxing class, audio quality needs be no greater than MP3. If you ever come across a way to resolve this bug issue in a manner that doesn't compromise the quality of the final outcome please post it here and in the other thread.

Thanks,

James

LOL, Matt Mayfield. I feel your pain but, as I'm currently only working on an hour-long mix of high-energy tracks for a cardio kickboxing class, audio quality needs be no greater than MP3. If you ever come across a way to resolve this bug issue in a manner that doesn't compromise the quality of the final outcome please post it here and in the other thread.

Thanks,

James

I'd just export it to an AIFF or WAV from QuickTime Player. Glad you liked the joke. :D

the conclusion we can draw here is that an m4a file can't be processed by Logic, but mp3 audio can

Even though iJammer noticed an instance of an mp3 that worked and an m4a that didn't, it's not about mp3 vs. m4a. It's about whether or not an Apple code library was used to produce the compressed file.

Attached to this comment are two small files, an m4a and an mp3. If you drag them into Arrange and then open them in the Sample Editor, you'll find that they behave the opposite of your conclusion. That's because the mp3 was produced by an Apple code library and the m4a was not.

I'm saying 'Apple code library' and not 'Apple app' because a non-Apple app can use an Apple code library. For example, an m4a produced by Max will behave differently (with regard to what's being discussed here) than an m4a produced by Audacity. That's because Max is using an Apple code library to produce the m4a, and Audacity is not.

When a compressed file produced by a non-Apple code library is dragged into Arrange, Logic automatically converts it to aif. That aif copy is what you're editing when you open that region in the Sample Editor and use the editing commands in there (and you can see this if you look at the file path that's displayed in the Sample Editor window). On the other hand, when a compressed file produced by a Apple code library is dragged into Arrange, Logic automatically does a kind of internal decompression, and no aif copy is created. In this instance, the Sample Editor commands are disabled.

Also, it's not really that compressed audio (mp3, m4a, etc) can be "processed" (i.e., directly edited) by Logic. In no instance is Logic actually editing a compressed file. When the editing is possible, what's being edited is an aif copy of the compressed file.

Relevant to this topic is something Apple said here: "Logic Pro 8, Logic Express 8: Some compressed audio files convert to AIFF." Also relevant is something expressed in the Soundtrack Pro manual (p. 71): "Compressed formats such as MP3 and AAC (except protected AAC) files are also supported, although these must be internally decompressed to a linear PCM format."

I think the other main cause of Sample Editor commands being disabled is that the user doesn't realize that there's no selection. There is a selection by default, but then if you click anywhere in the window, then there will be no selection, and the commands will become unavailable. I think it's easy for this to happen by accident. An example of this happening is here.

Is it off topic to ask how you converted an m4a file to an MP3 file in the Finder? I would have used iTunes

iTunes is a reasonable way to convert m4a to mp3, but I know he didn't use iTunes. I just explained how I know.

A tool I really like for this sort of conversion is Max.

mp3 via Logic.mp3.zip

m4a via Audacity.m4a.zip

Interesting bit of business. Overly-complicated situation. Another reason to always request proper AIFF or WAV files from a client. Having said that, there are many times when opening an AIFF region in the sample editor results in the same behavior -- grayed out functions. What would be really valuable is if someone could find out the reasons behind that and suggest a fix.

As to selection/no selection... When you open an audio region in the sample editor, the respective section of the audio file is automatically selected. So while it's true that no selection results in grayed-out functions, it's not the typical behavior you'd run across.

• 1 year later...