Simultaneously using Logic instruments & FantomG instrmn

ojan327

I am trying to create a song using both internal Roland Fantom G8 instruments and software instruments that are in my computer (Logic or other).

I can use the Fantom keyboard to play the Logic software instruments no problem. But when I attempt to use the Fantom's instruments (with an External MIDI track), although it records in Logic (as I can see the notes being played in Logic), it does not allow me to hear it at the same time as the other sounds.

When selecting a new External MIDI track and opening the library, I select the Fantom G - and the first of 16 channels (where I select the instrument I want on the Fantom G interface). But I can only hear it play back when I have my receiver set to the corresponding Fantom G input.

So the basic problem is getting the Fantom sounds to play from within my computer, because right now the Fantom sounds are acting separately. It's as if I could make a song in Logic using ALL fantom G instruments, or ALL instruments within my computer/Logic, but not both at the same time.

Maybe I have to buy some hardware? Or maybe this is not even possible...

Please let me know...

Thanks

2039908681_Picture1.thumb.png.3bd7b2061aa1432fb08daa38e1d21212.png

Attached is an image of my arrange window.

But I can only hear it play back when I have my receiver set to the corresponding Fantom G input.

Your "receiver"? What is that? :?

To hear your fantom, you do need to somehow get its audio back into your Logic project. This is usually achieved with an audio track in input mode, or record enabled, or an Aux channel strip, set to the input of your audio interface where you've connected the audio outs from the Fantom.

Hope that helps?

your audio interface where you've connected the audio outs from the Fantom

I don't have any personal experience using this feature, but the Fantom-G apparently has its own audio interface, built-in (pdf):

Maybe the most powerful aspect of USB on the Fantom-G is its ability to stream audio from the Fantom-G to a computer, and from the computer to the Fantom-G. When the Fantom-G is selected on the computer as its audio input and output, it’s easy to get audio back and forth between them.

The Fantom-G as an Audio Interface for Your DAW

When you want to record live audio into a DAW, you need an audio interface to receive audio from a mic or instrument and get it into your DAW for recording. The Fantom-G’s live inputs allows you to do just that, sparing you from having to buy another piece of pricey gear just to record live audio into your DAW.