Logic and Yamaha Motif XS8

Andersen3

Hi Guys.

I just got my new Yamaha Motif XS8 and I'm also barely new with Logic Studio 8. Since I got the keyboard, I've found it hard to record and make my songs on the Motif itself, so I did some research and found out that I could run it with Logic.

I've done a lot of research on how to setup the Motif XS with Logic 8, and I've tried a lot of different things, I even looked at old posts on this forum, but without any luck. So I thought about asking it myself in here. I sure some of you can help me :)

Purpose:

- I wanna be able to record my songs from my motif and be able to hear the sounds from my motif in logic as well as editing my songs.

My Settings on my Yamaha Motif XS8:

Note: My Motif is hooked up by USB into my Macbook Pro.

Under Utility > Control > Remote = I've set Daw Type to Logic

Under Utility > Control > MIDI = I've set Interface to USB - Midi Sync to Internal - And Sequencer Control to in/out.

Under Seq Setup > Quick = I've set it to Setup Number 2

Okay, so I will post some screenshots of how my settings in Logic is looking right now:

Here is how my MIDI settings look like on my Macbook Pro

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

Here is what my screen looks like when I enter Logic 8 (Notice the Yamaha Motif ports on the right)

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

Here is all of my MIDI settings in Logic 8:

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

And here is my Environment Window in Logic 8:

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/8638/screenshot20100525at164.png

I really hope you guys can help me. I have so many ideas on my new workstation, I just can't get it recorded into Logic yet.

Thank you.

Christian Andersen

Andersen Records

Hearing your MOTIF in Logic has nothing to do with MIDI or MIDI setup. You need to record the AUDIO out of your MOTIF into the audio inputs on your interface, or if you don't have one, into the input on your Macbook Pro.

You would use the MIDI stuff if you want to use MIDI recorded in Logic to control your MOTIF, but even then you'd need the AUDIO OUPUTS of your MOTIF to be sending audio into your computer.

Okay, but I want to be able to hear + Record all my sounds from my motif in Logic. I know that it is possible, I just dont know how to do it

What I suggested (with the headphones) was a step toward setting it all up. It allows you to check your MIDI routing before going into the Audio routing. As you set up everything, it becomes more complex to troubleshoot. If you can check routing as you cable it it's easier.

So, plug your headphones into the keyboard: do you hear anything? Seems working? If you answer yes we can continue!

Wow. Thanks for asking this question. I can't hear any sound when I'm plugging in my headphones to the motif now. It worked before I started working on it with Logic.

I appreciate that you are willing to help me step by step with this, I really admire people who take their time to walk through it step by step for newcomers.

Thanks appreciate it.

Christian Andersen

First things first: you shouldn't even have to worry about Audio MIDI Setup
This is fairly interesting. Because in both the 'Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8' and 'Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9' books, which are the curriculum for Apple Training, you recommend doing that very thing!

Sorry, reconsidered...

Your settings must be adjusted. The Motif XS cannot act as the Master Clock. So, set Logic to send MIDI clock and MTC so that the XS will sync to Logic. In the Toolbar, select ‘Settings> Synchronization> MIDI Tab. Make sure Destination #1 is checked and select the Motif XS port #1 from the drop down menu. Check the 'Transmit MTC' and the 'Transmit MMC' boxes... Under the 'General' Tab, make sure that 'Internal' is selected...

NOTE: When recording from the XS Sequencer, set the tempo within Logic (either from the transport or the Global Tracks) to match the XS's song tempo and set the XS to slave.

XS SETTINGS:

Select Logic as the DAW you want to control

Press [uTILITY]

Press [F5] CONTROL

Press [sF1] DAW

Select DAW TYPE = Logic

Set the XS to operate via USB

Press [sF2] MIDI

Set MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Press [sTORE] to lock in your Utility mode settings.

Set the XS to work in Song Mode

Press SONG ; Press [sEQ SETUP]; Press [F3] QUICK and, select either:

QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #2- to record internal sequencer into Logic or,

QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #3 = Recording on Computer:

QUICK SEQUENCER SETUP #4 = Recording XS Arps on Computer:

Press Enter to set selection...

1) Logic Pro 8 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. When properly installed, the Yamaha USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the Motif is connected.

2) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS. (So from the Desktop, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. Open the Audio MIDI Setup. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab. Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. Type ‘MotifXS8’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close)…

3) Move it (the Motif Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver Device (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports. Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the Motif Device (in port). It draws a cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’...…

Now, for a trick of mine- to get Logic 8 to adopt the name of your AMS Device as the Port#1 Name, remove the name of the USB driver. You can always re-enter the name later, if you so choose…. This makes it a little easier to identify in Logic.

4) Open Logic 8 and create an external instrument track; the Motif should appear in the Media / Library as an option… (more than one Motif port will be shown; select the one that has the exact name as the device in you setup in AMS. The 1-16 correspond to your XS Midi channels)

Also, as it relates to the XS' USB Ports in Logic note: Port #1 is your main port. It transmits and receives MIDI notes, controllers, etc… Port #2 is used to control the DAW via the Remote function… Port #3 functions as MIDI Thru. It transmits MIDI to any synth or module physically connected to the MIDI Out Terminal on the XS… Port #4 is reserved for the Yamaha Studio Manager…

5) To record more than one midi channel at a time, you must do the following: From the Logic ToolBar select ‘Settings’ {or File> Project Settings}; Click the Recording Tab; check the Auto Demix By Channel… When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the Motif Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel.

When each track is record enabled, the Midi should be distributed to the proper channels- you will notice this when recording stops… Of course, follow the Motif Manual’s instructions about turning off ‘Local’, etc…

6) Logic Remote: The most important thing about using the Logic Remote function on the XS is to make sure that the MIDI Out port is set correctly. In order to properly control Logic, that control must be set to operate via the appropriate MIDI Port. If it isn’t, not much beyond the XS’ Transport will function properly.

'Logic 8' should prompt you that a Logic Control is now present upon launch. If not, go to Logic Pro>Preferences> Control Surfaces> Setup. Click on the Logic Control Device and it will reveal its current Port assignments. Change it/them to ‘Port #2’. This can also be accessed manually from the toolbar:  Preferences> Global> Control Surfaces> Setup...

OK, I don't think that I left anything out...

Peace...

When and if you do get it working, I'd appreciate it if you'd give this template a try and tell me if it works:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57216

No hurry.

fader8,

Anderson has a Motif XS and the number of preset banks, user banks and their respective program messages are very different. It will require someone with a Motif 'Classic' to review it. But, I did proffer an answer to your post...

First things first: you shouldn't even have to worry about Audio MIDI Setup
This is fairly interesting. Because in both the 'Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8' and 'Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9' books, which are the curriculum for Apple Training, you recommend doing that very thing!

Hey careful there: you're quoting me out of context! :wink:

The first paragraph of that appendix is:

Logic can access any device configured in Audio MIDI Setup, a Mac OS X configuration tool. Audio MIDI Setup automatically detects USB or FireWire MIDI devices connected directly to the computer, provided that the necessary drivers have been properly installed.

The MIDI synthesizers connected to that MIDI interface would not be detected, however. Setting up those synths in Audio MIDI Setup will allow you to access them by name in Logic, so that you don’t have to remember which device is connected to which port on the MIDI interface.

So you do NOT have to worry about Audio MIDI Setup for any synth connected to your computer via USB (which is the case for this poster), provided you've installed the USB drivers for that synth. The only reason to configure Audio MIDI Setup for a synth connected via a MIDI cable through a USB MIDI Interface is to give the MIDI Interface ports (which appear in the library) the name of your synth.

Wow. Thanks for asking this question. I can't hear any sound when I'm plugging in my headphones to the motif now. It worked before I started working on it with Logic.

I appreciate that you are willing to help me step by step with this, I really admire people who take their time to walk through it step by step for newcomers.

Thanks appreciate it.

Christian Andersen

you're welcome!

OK so the first thing to do would be to troubleshoot your MIDI routing.

• Keep the headphones plugged straight into the synth.

• Create an external MIDI track, and in the Library, choose the name of your synth, then one of the MIDI Channels (let's say MIDI Channel 1).

• Press caps lock to get the little keyboard on screen (do not use your synth's keyboard just yet).

• Start playing the caps lock keyboard, try different octave ranges, and see if you can trigger the synth that way? You should hear the sound in your headphones.

If that doesn't work let us know. It could be a setting in the synth (to make sure it reacts to externally incoming MIDI events) or it could be a problem with the synth's USB driver.

To logic8mine:

- Thank you so much for the detailed description. I followed everything you said and it looks like it is getting better. Still a couple of issues tho:

- My Record/Play/Stop buttons doesn't work with Logic?

- When I record In Logic, the click sound is a piano sound, and not a click. Really annoying when recording.

- When I export/bounce what I recorded into Logic in mp3, there is no sound at all in the MP3 file :S

I hear all the instruments in my headphones that's plugged into my motif. I hear the stuff i record in Logic. I guess thats a good sign.

Hope you can help me with these small issues.

Thank you

Christian

My Record/Play/Stop buttons doesn't work with Logic?
If you setup the Logic Control Port, you then have to press the [REMOTE] Button on the XS to enter into Remote mode...

When I record In Logic, the click sound is a piano sound, and not a click. Really annoying when recording.
Settings>Metronome> And,you have options. I personally, don't wan't to hear the metronome through my XS so, I've turned the MIDI Port off. But, you can change the MIDI Channel to reflect the channel your drums are on. You can also adjust the MIDI Notes there, if needed...

When I export/bounce what I recorded into Logic in mp3, there is no sound at all in the MP3 file :S
Because you don't have a way to bring XS audio into Logic unless you use the mLAN. Back to my original question. :) Or, you will require an external Audio Interface... Even then, you will be required to either record the XS Audio into Logic first, or utilize an External Instrument. Not the same as External MIDI Track.

Hi again guys. Sorry for the delay.

I can't seem to figure out how to record it. I see the notes on the screen, but I can't make the record/play/stop buttons to work with the logic buttons. I went into remote, but it didn't help.

I just wanna be able to edit the notes/midi on the computer, because I'm not good at timing when I hit the keys under a recording.

I don't know if I will be creating the song on the motif and just editing in logic or if I will be transferring the motif sounds to logic and exporting the final song from Logic?

I really hope you guys still can help me. I'm almost there :)

Christian

I can't seem to figure out how to record it.
??? What is it? The XS? Audio Or MIDI? And remember the Audio can only be recorded via mLAN (FireWire), or via a separate Audio Interface.
I see the notes on the screen' date='[/quote']Which screen: Logic's or the XS'? If it's Logic's Screen, where? In the Arrange Window? In the Transport?
but I can't make the record/play/stop buttons to work with the logic buttons. I went into remote' date=' but it didn't help.[/quote']Are you referring to pressing Record' on the XS and having the Transport in Logic begin to record? I shared how to setup the Logic Control earlier. Also, you should be in either Song Mode or Pattern Mode on the XS.
I don't know if I will be creating the song on the motif and just editing in logic or if I will be transferring the motif sounds to logic and exporting the final song from Logic?
That's for you to answer and any help you receive revolves around what you are trying to do. As for transferring the Motif sounds to Logic, I guess you are referring to recording the Audio output of the XS in Logic?