legacy dd506 midi mapping in ultrabeat

stiched up

hi ,

ive searched the forums for info on the dd506 drum kit and mapping in logic pro 8 to no avail

i am having a problem using learn to map the kick from my dd506 to the kick in ultra beat i assighn the midi controller but when i hit the kick drum it only alters the volume of channel 1 on the keyboard and doesnt seem to trigger the kick sound itself ???

i use mac osx snow leopard on a macbook pro

i hope ive been clear enough

please help me this is doing my head in !!!

Ultrabeat voices already respond to MIDI notes, so there's no need to use "Learn" just to do this. UB responds to C1 and up. It's best if you can config your kit to send the right note values, but it is possible to run it through a Mapped Instrument to convert them to the correct values.

if i can use learn to map the kick to alter the volume on channel 1 why cant i use this to trigger the voice ?? e.g why cant i just tell ub to trigger the voice when that certain note im sending hits. i have no drivers for my kit and neither logic nor my mac recognise the connection so im not sure how i could alter the notes its sending ??? i thought i was just sending a basic midi signal so im not sure why notes would come into play, i just want to map that signal to any voice in ub??

if i can use learn to map the kick to alter the volume on channel 1 why cant i use this to trigger the voice ??

Ultrabeat doesn't need to learn any MIDI to trigger notes. It's already configured to respond to note messages.

e.g why cant i just tell ub to trigger the voice when that certain note im sending hits.

Because it doesn't work that way.

i have no drivers for my kit and neither logic nor my mac recognise the connection so im not sure how i could alter the notes its sending ???

The manual is here:

http://www.medeli.com.hk/downloads/index.html

Taking a quick glance, it looks like no drivers are required as it will automatically be recognized as a USB MIDI device. It also appears that when putting the device in GM mode, you can configure the triggers to transmit any note you like.

i thought i was just sending a basic midi signal so im not sure why notes would come into play,

Note messages are the only type of MIDI message that will trigger sounds in a virtual instrument. Spend a few minutes with the manual and you'll get it working in no time.