Finding a huge bass drum in Ultrabeat or another plug-in.

I try to record my music with as few drums as possible. I love having percussion-driven songs, but I don't like drumsets for various reasons (partially because they're overused, partially because I don't have the room). So I use a cajon and a tuned drum, but I find that I'm often missing that real bass hit. And even adding bass to a song doesn't quite give it what it needs for that lower register punch to the sternum.

I've been searching around Ultrabeat and other plug-ins in Logic, and most everything I've found sounds either really cheesy or really techno-y (electronic-y?), and I'm hoping somewhere I've just overlooked a very big bass drum sound that I can trigger with the press of a key instead of finding one and buying it.

Thanks.

Sven

Edit: Thanks for moving it, mod. I thought Logic was the best place to post this, but I suppose not. Thanks again.

Have you attempted to eq existing kick samples in logic, or even layering two kicks in two different frequency areas, or layering low freq bass tones over a kick? I'm sure if you get creative enough you can find the punch in the guts you're after. Failing that I've used Battery 3 in the past, has some good kicks in the standard sample library.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey -- i found nothing on Ultrabeat quite satisfied my desire for a deep dark bass sound either. Of course, you could play around with Ultrabeat 'til you create your own, but also try using the ESX24's timpani for a really huge throbbing bass drum. If it's too sustain-y, then gate it.