Anyone using a Quad Core i7 27" Imac?

I keep hearing bad rumours about this particular configuration of the new iMac. But i've been offered one at a great price so i wondered if anyone on the Forum is using one and if so, can they please share their experiences and feedback. On paper this is a hell of a computer. It'd be great if the rumours proved false

Mines great, been performing exceptionally well with Logic Pro / 3rd party plugs and other Audio related software such as T-Racks 3.

The graphical issues with the display of the machines were well and truly dealt with when apple released their latest update for Snow Leopard, so no worries there!

Performance wise its a real power-house, The i7 is an amazing processor and with 8gb's of Ram its un-stoppable!...

My advice would be to take the offer! You wont regret it.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply tippie123. I have a couple of days to decide so i might see if i get any other responses but i appreciate your feedback. Even at retail they seem an amazing bargain as far as Macs go

I got a 27" iMac for my non music computing, but quickly decided to use it as a slave machine for AUs inside of Vienna Ensemble Pro. This computer is probably the hottest computer in a decade or more. It's very responsive and if you don't need PCI cards, I'd consider getting 2 of them. One for logic and the other as an AU slave with VEP. 2 of these with plenty of ram costs less than 1 Macpro.........something to think about.

Bruce

I realise this is slow of me, but you've just reminded me of a problem i have that i needed a card slot to work around. I am currently running Logic on a MBP Core 2 2.3 and was unable to run a Firewire External Drive, which has all my Sample Libraries, and my Firewire Konnekt 24D Audio Interface on the single Firewire bus. Either daisy chained or through a Firewire Hub. In the end i got an eSata Card for the ExpressCard/34 slot because my drive enclosure is a triple interface. It works perfectly. In fact it works like a rocket. But an iMac would take me back to the single Firewire Bus problem with no ExpressCard/32 slot to solve it. Bugger

Mines great, been performing exceptionally well with Logic Pro / 3rd party plugs and other Audio related software such as T-Racks 3.

The graphical issues with the display of the machines were well and truly dealt with when apple released their latest update for Snow Leopard, so no worries there!

Performance wise its a real power-house, The i7 is an amazing processor and with 8gb's of Ram its un-stoppable!...

My advice would be to take the offer! You wont regret it.

Cheers

So are you running 32-bit Logic (based on the version 9.0.2 in your signature)? If so, then you are capped at 4GB of RAM? I'm just a bit confused why people are upgrading to 8GB ram if they are using 32-bit Logic versions?

I, too, am thinking of upgrading my 24" iMac which has 4GB RAM (max) to the 27" iMac so I can go with 8GB RAM but then I would have to go 64-bit Logic to have any advantage over my current system, right?

So are you running 32-bit Logic (based on the version 9.0.2 in your signature)? If so, then you are capped at 4GB of RAM? I'm just a bit confused why people are upgrading to 8GB ram if they are using 32-bit Logic versions?

Yes you are right, and yes I am (for now) running Logic in 32 bit mode. This is due to the fact that the 64 bit 'switch over' shall we say is still largely under-way, and the way the AU bridge handles 32 bit plug-in's in 64 bit mode is a tad strange and not to my liking. Once more software companies start developing 64 bit plug-ins, and once Logic has a better way of handling 32 bit plugs in 64 bit mode THEN i will switch to 64 bit. Its just nice to know I have a system spec that logic will take full advantage of when I decide to switch.

But for now, its not crucial I change to 64 bit since my recent projects cope just fine with 4GB's.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

For anyone interested, a client of mine just picked up the following Beast of an iMac for $2499.00 + $29 shipping...

iMac 27" 3.4GHz Quad Core i7 8GB/2TB/Radeon 6970M (2GB) with 3 Year AppleCare included

http://www.expercom.com/product_detail.html?p=751337

He received it in 7 days from ordering.... Not bad given he lives on the East Coast of USA and Expercom is based in Utah and he only paid for basic ground shipping!

I checked a few moments ago and this deal is still current and active.