Automap Question

jufros

I've just recently started using a Novation SL MkII MIDI controller with Logic and am trying to get it to work properly with Mainstage. Right now, I two buttons on the SL mapped to Command+Up and Command+Down to change patches and that works fine. I'd like to figure out a way to have the SL's display update with my patch changes though. Anyone know how to do that?

Can't help you with Automap. I stopped trying it ages ago as it just didn't work well or reliably enough. Have you considered making dedicated RemoteSL templates for each of your Mainstage patches? Then you could send a program change to the Novation and that will select the template.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just recently started using a Novation SL MkII MIDI controller with Logic and am trying to get it to work properly with Mainstage. Right now, I two buttons on the SL mapped to Command+Up and Command+Down to change patches and that works fine. I'd like to figure out a way to have the SL's display update with my patch changes though. Anyone know how to do that?

Part of the problem is that Automap was designed to solve problems with applications that don't provide smart methods for mapping hardware controls to parameters. MainStage DOES solve this problem so in a way, AM is competing against what MS is trying to do. I recommend you make a template that turns your Novation into a normal, old fashioned controller keyboard where every knob/slider sends standard MIDI control messages. Load up this template when using MainStage and map the controls how you want them in the Layout page.

I recommend you make a template that turns your Novation into a normal, old fashioned controller keyboard where every knob/slider sends standard MIDI control messages. Load up this template when using MainStage and map the controls how you want them in the Layout page.

I agree with this approach and further to this, as I was inferring in my previous post, you can have multiple templates in the SL, all with the same controller assignments, but with different display names showing. The SL can be set up to respond to program changes so that when you change patches in Mainstage, the SL template changes and shows the correct parameter names.

It will take less time if you create and edit the templates using the RemoteSL editor app on your Mac.

I was using a Novation keyboard and did the exact approach as mentioned above. It's really the only way to go. There is a template available - I was able to download it, although I don't remember if it was from the Novation site or from a user somewhere. I googled and found it. I loaded it the keyboard and that was my MainStage template. Switched to the Logic one when using Logic, no big deal.

• 1 year later...
I was using a Novation keyboard and did the exact approach as mentioned above. It's really the only way to go. There is a template available - I was able to download it, although I don't remember if it was from the Novation site or from a user somewhere. I googled and found it. I loaded it the keyboard and that was my MainStage template. Switched to the Logic one when using Logic, no big deal.

Hey this would be tremendously helpful. I'm pretty decent at MainStage and Novation programming but hadn't thought of this. How would you send a program change back to the Novation keyboard, AND how do you program the Novation keyboard (SLKMkII in my case) to recognize it and change templates???? I'm thinking it has to do with adding a midi channel strip to each patch and sending a PC message, but what to do on the Novation side to accept and direct it??? Or maybe this isn't the method.

I am performing live with Mainstage and the SL, and have set up and used a single midi template with generic names coming up. So it would be great to have a more specific names appear on my SL.

I am changing patches in Mainstage from the SL by sending program change messages using the bottom right row of buttons on the SL, sending program changes 1-16 to Mainstage.

Thanks!

Neil

nmcq333@gmail.com

www.myspace.com/AlteredDominant

www.PRYMARY.com

I realize my post wasn't clear - I was making reference to using a generic template (where each hardware knob, fader, etc. has its own unique MIDI cc number) to use with MainStage - thus making it very easy to assign items in MainStage. I never tried to switch templates from MainStage.

It's been nearly 2 years since I've owned the Novation (and using Automap 2.x). I'd have to defer to someone using it now with current keyboard and OS.

I recommend you make a template that turns your Novation into a normal, old fashioned controller keyboard where every knob/slider sends standard MIDI control messages. Load up this template when using MainStage and map the controls how you want them in the Layout page.

HI, thanks much but I was interested in finding out more about the quoted post, which talks about actually sending a program change back to the Novation from MS with which the Novation would actually call up a new template (one I had made already) which would have the names on the displays consistent with the functions I've attached to them.

A few years ago, I decided that Automap is not good for live playing due to the slow and cumbersome patch change procedure, and I'd already downloaded the template a years or so ago and have been through the nice suggestions of the last few posts.

Thanks for any help,

Neil

nmcq333@gmail.com

HI, thanks much but I was interested in finding out more about the quoted post, which talks about actually sending a program change back to the Novation from MS with which the Novation would actually call up a new template (one I had made already) which would have the names on the displays consistent with the functions I've attached to them.

On the RemoteSL, press the Global button. Scroll the display up a couple of times til you see (on the left here) "Template Change". Under that is the port and channel selectors. Choose the input your SL is receiving MIDI on. In Mainstage, create a program change that sends to that port and channel.

On the RemoteSL, press the Global button. Scroll the display up a couple of times til you see (on the left here) "Template Change". Under that is the port and channel selectors. Choose the input your SL is receiving MIDI on. In Mainstage, create a program change that sends to that port and channel.

How do I associate each template on the Novation with a Program Change number to which it should respond? in other words, how and where to I place a program change number identifier inside each template? For example, if I had a vb3 organ template, and I wanted that to be called up upon receiving a Program Change 1, and a Moog Modular template, and I wanted that as 2, etc., where or how do I place the identifying PC number inside the Moog template so the 61SL MkII (in my case) knows that's the template branded "2"? Maybe it's just the order they're saved in? Or more likely there's a slot in each template to name the PC #? Or...???

And in MainStage, is that program change sending accomplished by adding a midi channel strip to each patch and sending a PC from that?

So big picture, check my understanding; I press a Program Change button #3 on my Novation, which calls up patch #3 in MainStage, which also has a midi channel strip pointing back to the Novation, from which a program change message is sent as PC#2, say, which calls up the template to which Program Change #2 is associated with. Right? got it, with the exception of the question above.

thanks very much, this is wizard-level stuff you're passing on, appreciated.

Neil

myspace.com/AlteredDominant

www.Prymary.com

How do I associate each template on the Novation with a Program Change number to which it should respond?

The template number is the program change number. That makes it easy, eh?

And in MainStage, is that program change sending accomplished by adding a midi channel strip to each patch and sending a PC from that

Yes. Create the external instrument channel strip. Set the MIDI channel for the strip to the channel you set in the Remote's globals template change. In the inspector, MIDI Out tab, select the program change number.

So big picture, check my understanding; I press a Program Change button #3 on my Novation, which calls up patch #3 in MainStage, which also has a midi channel strip pointing back to the Novation, from which a program change message is sent as PC#2, say, which calls up the template to which Program Change #2 is associated with. Right?

Right! I just tried it and it works fine here.

Are you using the Remote's buttons to send program changes to Mainstage?

Right! I just tried it and it works fine here.

Are you using the Remote's buttons to send program changes to Mainstage?

===============================================

Actually I'm using a 61SLMkII, but the implementation principles are the same at the level we're discussing. But yes, I'm using the 16 buttons bottom right to send PC 1-16 to MainStage. And the "drawbars" make playing Hammond Organ, well, actually the NeoInstruments VB3, very interactive.

Thanks for the help, once I get a few moments I'm definitely going to try a multi-Novation-template-with-Mainstage-control setup -- it would be great to be able to see relevant paramater info about what the knobs do ON the instrument (instead of looking at the laptop and associating, say, overdrive on MainStage's button B-2 with the actual button B-2) and have them change on on a per-patch basis.

I play in pretty hefty tour and concert situations, and it's very nice to be able to utilize gigabytes of sonic depth in my patches, instead of the kilobytes of data found in most ROMpler patches.

I'm attaching a recent MainStage template I did for the 61SLMkII, in case it helps you or anyone else have a Novation starting point or alternate idea. I have done many, and finally realized the MainStage setup had to be the same as the board's physical setup, so I could go faster to what I wanted instead of doing a quick 2-step mental association game.

thx

Neil

www.Prymary.com

MySpace.com/AlteredDominant

Novation SLMKII Template 2 mapped and learned.concert.zip

MainStage template for Novation 61SL MkII.

And in MainStage, is that program change sending accomplished by adding a midi channel strip to each patch and sending a PC from that
Yes. Create the external instrument channel strip. Set the MIDI channel for the strip to the channel you set in the Remote's globals template change. In the inspector, MIDI Out tab, select the program change number.

This reminds me, I set up a pretty cool MainStage file for my Nord Electro 3, to change patches by selecting a key in the bottom octave, c=1, c#=2, etc. I lost an octave, but gained 12 quick patch change buttons. Great as the Electro 3 is, its patch changing is either up or down, and therefore too slow for multi-keyboard performance. Anyway, I used the same kind of setup; using a midi channel strip to sent PC back to the Nord when a patch is selected via the keys (on the musical keyboard).

Neil

www.Prymary.com

MySpace.com/AlteredDominant