Pan law compensation ?

hypnotik

I haven't looked to check, but my guess is that previously, pan law was only done when panning a mono signal in the stereo field - stereo signals *are not panned*, instead the pan control becomes a balance control, which just controls the levels of both sides (ie fully left, the left channel is playing at 100%, the right at 0%).

Because there is no panning for stereo signals, pan laws are not applied.

I'd guess that this new option gives you the ability to obey the currently set pan law when panning(balancing) stereo signals.

Give it a try and let me know whether I guessed correctly... ;)

the pan knob in the mixer is more of a balance knob.

...On Stereo channel strips. This is not a mistery.

From the manual:

Mono channel strips feature a Pan control, which determines the position of a signal in

the stereo image. At the center pan position, the channel strip sends equal amounts of

the signal to both sides of the stereo image. If you were to increase the pan position on

the left side and decrease it on the right, the sound would move to the left.

Stereo channel strips display Balance controls. The Balance control differs from the Pan

control in that it controls the relative levels of two signals (Left and Right) at their outputs.

When a channel strip output is set to Surround, the Pan or Balance control is replaced by

a Surround Panner.

J.