a different Kontakt multichannel approach

hellleutel

hi group

most people seem to use multi instruments (in the environment) to control multichannel kontakt instances. I found that has 2 disadvantages: you can't name the single midi channels / instruments conveniently, and you don't see the actual kontakt instrument in the channel strip on the left of the arrange when you select a track, you only see the multiinstrument that points to it. so when you want to open kontakt, you have to do several clicks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried the following: I created several audio objects in the environment that all use the same audio Instrument (see picture) but set each object’s midi channel differently. Now I can select the single channels in the arrange like I want, I can name the instruments and I always see the actual kontakt strip on the left in the arrange. But obviously it’s not meant to be used that way: in the worst case I have 16 Instruments in my Audio mixer environment that all show the same device, with 16 meters flashing.

Do you think that strategy would make sense, or is there an even better solution?

best

Uli

http://www.uli-reuter.de/OtherFiles/kontaktclones.png

I think having multiple instances of Kontakt is not resourceful. You can separate midi channels, and NAME each single instrument in the Arrange window of Logic all with one instance of kontakt. This can be accomplished without venturing into the Environment window. True, when you click on that particular instrument, it won't automaticly bring up that single instrument in Kontakt, only Kontakt as a whole; but those extra clicks are way more beneficial to your CPU than multiple instance and a few saved seconds.

I think having multiple instances of Kontakt is not resourceful

Right, but in this example hellleutel is only using one instance of Kontakt, inserted on the 'Instrument 2' channel, which is used by several Audio Objects. Not really necessary since as DVal pointed out you can create several Arrange tracks for the same Audio Object.

Hi you both

I apologize if I had made my 1st posting somehow unclear or unprecise, in fact I do use one single Kontakt multichannel instrument; my question was more about the ideal way of controlling this one instrument. There seem to be 3 ways:

- creating several "standard instruments" with different midi channels in the environment and cabling them to the kontakt instrument strip (= the audio object)

- creating one multi instrument that is wired to the kontakt instrument strip (=audio object). I had the impression everybody works like that.

- like I was posting, multiplying the instrument strip itself.

- of course Apple should think of a really professional solution for Logic 8...

no big deal of course cause all the three methods will work, but I thought before I decide to take the most exotic approach I better ask here. Meanwhile I found somewhere else there are people using "my" system, so I I'll give it a try.

best

u

I think having multiple instances of Kontakt is not resourceful

Right, but in this example hellleutel is only using one instance of Kontakt, inserted on the 'Instrument 2' channel, which is used by several Audio Objects. Not really necessary since as DVal pointed out you can create several Arrange tracks for the same Audio Object.

aah, we were crossposting.

the three audio channels you see in my picture only *seem* absolutely identical, but in fact they have different midi channels assigned in the parameter box! so "Instr1 kontakt1" will play a different sound than "INstr1 kontakt2" even if it adresses the same Kontakt.

greetings

uli

uli, the Audio Channel is the same, but used by 3 different Audio Objects, each one having a different MIDI Channel setting. It's just a terminology thing.

In any case, the reason I said it was unnecessary is because I was thinking of programming with the pencil, so you could achieve the same thing with a single Audio Object set to 'All' and by inserting notes on different MIDI Channels in the same MIDI Region (or separate Arrange tracks, doesn't matter).

If you're using a Controller Keyboard, then your setup makes sense.

Archived