Core Audio: Piano not found!

hamdog

Hello,

I was doing a little housekeeping the other day and moved a bunch of sampler files (found in /Library and a couple of user accounts ~/Libraries to my LaCie hard drive. I thought I had everything moved properly, but now I am missing some GarageBand plug-ins (I think).

Earlier in the morning I found some plug-in presets called 'Grand Piano Punchy' and 'Grand Piano On Stage'. I loved them as they took up much less CPU than the original Grand Piano I was using. But then I decided to clean up my PowerBook.

To make a long story short, I think I might have deleted the Piano plug-in (looks like the GarageBand one). I re-installed Logic Express and the Content DVD all back onto my PowerBook, but still no Piano plug-in. I can still find the presets, but they won't load without the plug-in.

Can someone tell me where this is supposed to reside? I thought I copied everything before I trashed it, but Shift-Command-Delete is just so easy to press, I might have forgotten something.

I don't think I have the original Restore DVD (the PowerBook is nearly 3 years old). Funny, the Piano plug-in loads corectly in GarageBand, but is missing from the Audio Instrument input list in Logic Express. I think all of the others are there like 'Analog Basic', 'Tonewheel Organ', etc.

Thanks for reading,

Hamdog

P.S. This leads me to a related question: Am I supposed to put my sampler files on the external hard drive or just the audio recordings? I have been using the external hard drive for sampler files and audio recordings and the only thing that is on the OS hard drive is Logic Express and some plug-in presets (as they don't take up much space). Everything else is on the external hard drive. Is this correct?

Those files should be located in:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Track Settings/Software/Pianos and Keyboards/Grand Piano on Stage.cst

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Grand Piano on Stage.exs

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-in Settings/Pirano/Grand Piano on Stage.exs

Those files should be located in:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Track Settings/Software/Pianos and Keyboards/Grand Piano on Stage.cst

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Grand Piano on Stage.exs

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-in Settings/Pirano/Grand Piano on Stage.exs

Thanks for the response, David,

I have the files there, well with aliases. Actually now it says: Core Audio: EXS24 not found!

I didn't think GarageBand or LE7 used EXS24.

I think this is where the problem lies, all the GB instruments are not showing up in the input menu:

http://home.comcast.net/~hamdogger/onlinestorage/GBinst.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hamdog

Try to put the real files in there, not just aliases.

Thanks David,

That worked. (kinda)

I put all the actual plug-in settings, track settings, etc. back onto my boot drive. Everything except the actual samples.

GarageBand is having a much harder time finding the samples than Logic. I know they're there, Logic is finding 2 or 3 copies of each one I load up.

But now, in Logic, the organ channel strips will load up, but it won't even attempt to find the samples.

One thing I did to help GB out was to trash the preferences, that's ok, because I don't use GB. But how much will I really lose if I trash my LE7 prefs?

thanks again for all your help!

Hamdog