score exporting

mikedalby

hey there

so i compose music in the score editor for my music and compostion course at college/university in Liverpool...

but my tutor proffessor uses sibelius as score software and he wants to see my work in progress and have me send it him by e-mail... is there anyway to export the score you create in logic, to a univesal score format that can be loaded up with all the score markings and notation in sibelius...

appreciate any help or guidance greatly,

cheers

mike dalby

michaeldalby@dashmusic.co.uk

www.dashmusic.co.uk

www.myspace.com/dashmusicrecords

www.myspace.com/tuffbreakentertainment

hey there

so i compose music in the score editor for my music and compostion course at college/university in Liverpool...

but my tutor proffessor uses sibelius as score software and he wants to see my work in progress and have me send it him by e-mail... is there anyway to export the score you create in logic, to a univesal score format that can be loaded up with all the score markings and notation in sibelius...

appreciate any help or guidance greatly,

cheers

mike dalby

michaeldalby@dashmusic.co.uk

www.dashmusic.co.uk

www.myspace.com/dashmusicrecords

www.myspace.com/tuffbreakentertainment

Sorry but there is no such thing as as a "universal score format ".

As David suggested, save as a standard MIDI file then load that into Sibelius. You will have to re-enter dynamics, phrases, and other markings in Sibelius, as the standard MIDI file format only contains performance data. Fortunately, these are a lot faster to input in Sib than they are in Logic.

I bet he can't expect his professor to do all this to view the work... ;)

So I think there are two choices: switch to Sibelius or the pdf idea of 00420

u

cheers for the input guys,

i just took my g4 powerbook in and he seemed happy to read it from the screen, a purchase of sibelius may be on the cards for me, its just that sibelius maybe great for score writing but i like to hear what i'm composing a bit more true to reality than the sibelius sounds, at least logic gives me a more musical perspective, but my professor was cool with reading the score from the score edit screen in logic...

does anyone want to create a universale score format? ha... think of the cash from selling such a format of file... ha

anywayz guys, as helpful as ever and appreciate your advice...

i'm sure i'll be back soon with more problems and troubles and questions

mike

yes that's a great project, didn't know of that! But how do we get Apple implementing an export option?

- maybe that pdftomusic program will be worth a look, but that seems somehow similar to photoscore... has someone tried that way as a bridge from Logic to sibelius? (Logic->Pdf->Photoscore->Sibelius that sounds complicated.)

u

logic to sibelius via midi is actually the standard method of orchestrating for the industry. most composers work in logic and most arrangers use finale or sibelius. seems more people are becoming proficient with logic though despite its bugs - but maybe that is the budgets becoming squeezed.

i am hoping that musicXML is incorportated with the next version of logic (its been requested) though i rather think the improvements to logic score might tempt people to stay with logic even more.

as a matter of fact the score symbols such as forte, piano etc, as well as text will be imported along with the notes into sibelius. slurs and crecendi won't be.

an important tip is to work out the quantization level carefully within logic first and make sure that if you have any played in parts that you have used 'note force legato' to make sure the notes butt up properly other wise you will be in for an editing fiesta in sibelius - and it is MUCH easier to edit in logic than it is in sibelius. sibelius fans might disagree, but the pro arrangers i know use logic to edit with before going to sibelius as well, so....

i reckon hold off your purchase of sibelius until you have had a chance to look at the next version of score in logic. you might find that it will be redundant for your needs.