Clock Settings?

robago

• 2 weeks later...

david, i recently picked up an M-Audio octane to use for the mic pre's for all of m drums. i then run all 8 channels into a presonus ACP88 comp/gate, then into a MOTU 896. i was told when i was buying it to use the clock on the Octane, not the audio interface, (896). it may produce pops and clicks.

I bought this thing to perform as a pre amp.. it also does the A/D thang, but im pretty sure that really helps when you are going into a digital mixer... as i am using it for a signal processor (in the truest sense) i dont think i need to worry about the word clock. do you agree? does this even make sense? im prety sure trying to type this tired and this early has its shortcomings.

thanks for thinkin it over!

-brian

You use wordclock or digital sync everytime you connect a digital audio stream from one device to another.

If you're going out your preamp in digital and in your audio interface (or mixer) digital, then the source (preamp) needs to be the master clock, the target (interface/mixer) needs to slave to it.

You usually do this by simply setting the digital sync to 'external' or 'ADAT' (if that's the type of connection you're using) on the slave, and 'internal' on the master.

that makes perfect sense. just to make sure, if im NOT going out digital, (1/4" - 1/4") then there is no need for me to use the wordclock correct?

i didnt think i needed to worry about it, but after hearing "it could pop and click" i starting worrying needlessly... i hope. i wanted to use the OCtane for its Pre's, not its A/D capabilities, at least, for now until i get a digital mixer. does this make sense as well?

-thanks again!

Brian,

As a general rule, the device containing the A/D converters should be used as the clock master in a digital chain, so the advice you got when you bought your setup was quite correct. Consequently, you can tell your MOTU interface (and therefore Logic) to lock to the incoming digital audio and all should be well.

[Edit: when you're going analogue, the digital clock issue is irrelevant. In that case, just set Logic to internal sync.]

Best regards,

Gert

ah ha! fantastic. my worries are quelled. as far as i can tell i should get a good amount of mileage out of the octane. im hoping that im able to use it as a converter to pull in 8 tracks off the octane and use the 8 a/d converters on the MOTU 896 to have 16 simultaneous tracks kickin into my logic setup. if im wrong then i have 8 mic pres to enjoy.

thanks guys!