How to ' bolt 'a new section onto the start of a track ??

Captain Beardy

Hello again, fine folks of Logic Pro Help,....

I need some help !

OK,.. so my guitarist and I have spent four days laying-down 16 tracks of drums and various guitar over-dubs,( totaling about thirty tracks in all ! ),...

The next step is to add some keyboards to the in front of the beginning of the stuff we've already recorded, ( about 45 minutes worth of continuous music ).

How do I go about making space,( say 30 bars or so ) on front of the bar one marker ?

(Can I move everything already recorded along 30 bars in one easy manoeuver, or is there some other trick to achieve this ,...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,......

Cheers,........ Dan

I wouldn't touch the song start marker: keeping it at 1 1 1 1 will save you many problems due to inconsistent behavior by Logic when using a negative (or actually smaller than 1) Song start marker.

That said, you have a couple of options left. If you do not have any automation yet, the process is super easy: you can just select all the Regions and drag to bar 30, or you can insert time (Region > Cut/Insert Time > Insert Time and move by Locators).

If you already have automation, then make sure you set your preferences so that the Automation will move along with your Regions.

I wouldn't touch the song start marker: keeping it at 1 1 1 1 will save you many problems due to inconsistent behavior by Logic when using a negative (or actually smaller than 1) Song start marker.

That said, you have a couple of options left. If you do not have any automation yet, the process is super easy: you can just select all the Regions and drag to bar 30, or you can insert time (Region > Cut/Insert Time > Insert Time and move by Locators).

If you already have automation, then make sure you set your preferences so that the Automation will move along with your Regions.

Top 'O the day to you David mate,.....

Great ! That sounds like something I could manage,.... There's no automation , just raw dry tracks,( though I did fiddle with EQs on a couple of drum tracks as an experiment ).

Tell me though, as this has been recorded as one 45 minute song, there are numerous guitar over-dubs starting and finishing all over the piece on different tracks.

Can I select all regions at the start and move them along so the guitar over-dub regions

further down the piece will stay in sync ? ( everything staying exactly where it was originally, only 30 bars further into the song,...... I really don't want my guitarist swinging his axe at me LOL ! ).

( Excuse my ignorance, but this is my first attempt with Logic ! )

Cheers for the help David,...

Dan, ( Wimbledon, London ).

Yes, dragging everything should keep everything in sync.

When you're unsure or afraid like this (and we all know computers don't always behave!), do a 'save as' under a new version number, that way you leave the original song file intact, and you experiment in a new one, and can test the results before your guitarist show up.

Worse case scenario you can always blame it on the guitarist's poor timing. :mrgreen:

Yes, dragging everything should keep everything in sync.

When you're unsure or afraid like this (and we all know computers don't always behave!), do a 'save as' under a new version number, that way you leave the original song file intact, and you experiment in a new one, and can test the results before your guitarist show up.

Worse case scenario you can always blame it on the guitarist's poor timing. :mrgreen:

That'a reassuring, David,.... :)

I was wondering about how I'd copy the whole song as a back-up, and you've just answered it for me !

I think I'm going to need a vacation once all this recording, mixing and mastering is over !

( Or medication :? ).

I'll give it a go tomorrow,.....

Many thanks again, David,..... ( there'll no doubt be another question,... or two at some

point :roll: ),....

Cheers,...... Dan.

Edited by Captain Beardy