Video Sync Offset When Playing via Firewire

craigrichey

Brand new Logic user and I can't figure out how to set an offset for video playback via firewire. Protools has a drop-down window for 'set video sync offset'....usually 22 frames when playing back via firewire. Does Logic not have a simple way to do this? I need my video SMPTE start time to match my song start time so that the SMPTE counter always agrees with burn-in on DV movie.

Thanks for any help! Also is it just me or is the reference manual very poorly layed out and indexed? It takes forever for me to find the proper trail when I'm trying to figure something out - not a very 'Logical' manual....an example 'time ruler' is referred to quite a bit...though 'bar ruler' appears in the index neither 'ruler' nor 'time ruler' do. This type of minimal cross-referencing in the index seems to be commonplace and adds so much extra time just trying to imagine what something might be called and where to find it! 'Grid' isn't there either!

Thanks

Craig - film composer

its not an offset that you need - you need to set the movie start.

simply enter the the BITC of the first frame of your QT movie into movie start and it will then be in sync with logics SMPTE. you set the movie start in the in the float window you open when you open 'open movie as float...'.

start mucking around with the SMPTE offset and it will be the quickest route a lobotomy imaginable believe me...

Brand new Logic user and I can't figure out how to set an offset for video playback via firewire. Protools has a drop-down window for 'set video sync offset'....usually 22 frames when playing back via firewire. Does Logic not have a simple way to do this?

What you're referring to is in Preferences-Video-External Video to Song. This is the one that compensates for firewire video latency. For my Canopus it's -17 quarter frames.

Brand new Logic user and I can't figure out how to set an offset for video playback via firewire. Protools has a drop-down window for 'set video sync offset'....usually 22 frames when playing back via firewire. Does Logic not have a simple way to do this?

What you're referring to is in Preferences-Video-External Video to Song. This is the one that compensates for firewire video latency. For my Canopus it's -17 quarter frames.

actually - i don't think he is talking about compensating for latency but generally how to sync his picture (the BITC) to logics TC.

Thanks everyone- actually I think Fader8 nailed it - it is a latency issue. When I set Movie start and SMPTE start to agree with first frame of QT Movie, Logic's SMPTE time agrees frame for frame with pic - from start to finish - it's just that when I play it out firewire to my overhead flatscreen monitor, the audio (dialogue) is out of sync.this is the case whether monitoring audio from 'system sound' or extracted and monitored as an audio region in the arrange window via 'output 1-2'. no amouont of changing the 'external video to song' or 'video to song' adjustments is making any difference. the picture seems to be late, and the degree appears to stay exactly the same regardless of trying different numbers of quarter-frame adjustments. When I'm viewing the movie in the movie window - audio is in sync with picture perfectly in either of the audio output choices mentioned above. Mystified.....reference manual NO help at all!

Also - when I mute an audio track (in arrange window) there is a bit of delay before sound is muted - and similarly with unmuting???? Mixer window response is instant when muting/unmuting on channel strip.

thanks so much for your response(s)

Yea, the OP's message sort of implies both. My response should have been "What you're possibly referring to...."

i stand incredibly corrected. fader8 is right - you can set the offset to compensate for latency in your video preferences. that's the preferences under the logicpro menu not song preferences.

i shall endeavour to aim more carefully next time i shoot my mouth off... :oops:

more....!

so yeah - no good sync when sending video via firewire - no offset makes any difference. to test my system i opened up Digital Performer and imported the same movie - and in the movie window pull-dwon chose firewire video sync offset - set it to 5 frames and bingo - worked like a charm. why is Logic giving me such hell about this? then - Logic also began playing pack at erratic speeds - speeding up, slowing down - like a 45rpm moving up to 78 or down to 33. restaring Logic didn't help. Didn't happen in DP. and i am still continually annoyed by the manual - is there a third party reference manual - a good one? I am so excited to get Logic going - I understand the frustration curve any time one leaps into a new program with this much depth....but I don't remember having nearly so much trouble figuring out Pro Tools. i also just bought Digital Performer, and though it's manual is layed out with much more 'logic', I'm much more enthused by the EXS sampler and other Virtual Instruments and goodies Logic has to offer. Thanks to any of you who may be able to help speed me along in this frustrating phase!!!!

hey - does Logic do Streamers and Punches? visual click?

peace,

Craig

I'm using MOTU Traveler, MAC Pro 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Canopus ADVC110

On my system the offset only works when the movie is a DV-STREAM (.dv) as opposed to a Quicktime Movie using DV compression (.mov). I am using Quicktime Pro to convert to DV-Stream. Also I will always turn off "contiguous sync" (accessible by command-clicking the movie window) With the normal (DV-compressed) Quicktime movie I had the same problems as you. For some reason this isn't mentioned in the manual. For the Canopus ADVC-110 the offset will work out around-17 quarter frames.

Logic doesn't do punches and streamers unfortunately.

more....!

so yeah - no good sync when sending video via firewire - no offset makes any difference. to test my system i opened up Digital Performer and imported the same movie - and in the movie window pull-dwon chose firewire video sync offset - set it to 5 frames and bingo - worked like a charm. why is Logic giving me such hell about this? then - Logic also began playing pack at erratic speeds - speeding up, slowing down - like a 45rpm moving up to 78 or down to 33. restaring Logic didn't help. Didn't happen in DP. and i am still continually annoyed by the manual - is there a third party reference manual - a good one? I am so excited to get Logic going - I understand the frustration curve any time one leaps into a new program with this much depth....but I don't remember having nearly so much trouble figuring out Pro Tools. i also just bought Digital Performer, and though it's manual is layed out with much more 'logic', I'm much more enthused by the EXS sampler and other Virtual Instruments and goodies Logic has to offer. Thanks to any of you who may be able to help speed me along in this frustrating phase!!!!

hey - does Logic do Streamers and Punches? visual click?

peace,

Craig

I'm using MOTU Traveler, MAC Pro 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Canopus ADVC110

the previous poster is right - you need to check the codec you are using, but if it is working alright in DP....

there are likely going to be issues with intel macs. in fact there are plenty and you may be discovering more. people will go cutting edge.... :)

double check that the frame rate set up in logic is correct.

the speeding up slowing down thing sounds like the audio you are hearing from the QT. this is because logic is having to adjust the audio of the film to match the video that is synced to logic. if you are getting huge variations then you have syncing problem with the video. you could import the audio into logic and use it from there - you might get more reliable results.

but my guess is that your movie file has a non 48k sample rate. firewire video must have exact video and audio properties in the QT file to work properly. i betting this is an QT movie that you did not capture with the camopus. check out moebius's thread on apple discussions. he was having this exact issue which eventually was resolved.

finally the macpro video tutorials aren't bad. but if you get stuck, then in general you can get help from forums like this one.

ok bless you (all)! got QT Pro and converted QT movie to dv stream - when exporting i made sure that the audio was being converted to 44.1 to try in a 44.1 Logic test session. IT WORKS! Imported audio from movie and turned off 'contiguous sync' and set video external to song at -17. So far so good. The film reel I was testing was from a film I recently finished in Pro Tools - I had asked for DV files as Pro Tools professes this is what you must have to play via firewire - and these particular QT movies worked fine....as they also appear to in DP) Well - anyway THANKS A MILLION. I'm sure I'll have many more questions and thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Till next time.....Craig :D :D

Also - when I mute an audio track (in arrange window) there is a bit of delay before sound is muted - and similarly with unmuting???? Mixer window response is instant when muting/unmuting on channel strip.

craig,

This is normal. When you mute a channel strip, everything is still running, you've just blocked audio from passing that point, so the effect is immediate. The track mute is special in that it literally shuts the track and its audio processes down, i.e. it no longer uses system resources. Kind of like it was never there. Anyway, it takes a moment for this to happen, but the benefits outweigh that.

The other benefit is that you can have more than one track assigned to one audio track object. It's a bit confusing at first, but tracks and track objects are actually different objects in Logic. So individual tracks can be muted before they reach the track object. This is a good thing. Stuff like multiple takes in cycle record, etc.

Archived