Help? Using Logic on 2 computers, synced via Ethernet.

Doc Jerome

I have a 2GHz G5 dual (Main DAW) and a Mac Pro 3.0 GHz (Slave) computer both with Logic Pro loaded. I have successfully gotten the Mac Pro to synchronize with the G5 via Ethernet in AudioMIDI Setup; however, I do not know how to get the Mac Pro (Slave) to see the MIDI input from my controller (Keystation Pro 88.)

I am using all virtual instruments (Vienna Instruments, specifically) on the slave. How do I configure Logic to send MIDI from the G5 to the Mac Pro, and configure Logic in the Mac Pro to receive it? Please be specific, as I have been trying everything I can think of to get this to work.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. :?

I would simply connect the controller to Logic on the master computer (as usual) and route Logic's input additionally to the slave computer. For this you may insert in the environment a monitor object into the existing cable going out from SUM of physical inputs and cable the second output of the monitor to a midi instrument with its output port set to the midi network.

Another solution would be to install 'MidiPipe' on the master computer for routing the controller additionally to the slave.

I tried what you suggested, but, every time I did that, I had MIDI chaos. On my DAW I kept getting messages that I was out of memory or running out, and the system basically was looping an error.

In AudioMIDI Setup, I have a Network "Session" activated, and in IAC Driver, I have 1 Port also activated in both the DAW and the Slave. Under "Live routings" I selected the "Session" I created using MIDI Network Setup for both dropdown menues.

In Logic, I see my "Session" and the "IAC Driver Bus" in the Physical Input object on both systems in the Environment (Click & Ports).

On the DAW: Physical Input (SUM) out to Input Notes, out Input Notes to Input View (Monitor Object), then out Input View to "to Recording & Thru". What should I do now?

It looks like you're creating a midi feedback loop with the IAC driver. Why would you need it all? It's only useful for routing midi between applicatons on the *same* computer. Try to deactivate it and the chaos will go I guess, provided that your midi network is set up correctly.

If you're not familiar with environment cabling I'd suggest to use MidiPipe for routing the controller input to the slave (ie. network port). It works completely independent of Logic and doesn't require any cabling in Logic's environment.

Wow! This sucks! Now I can't get the computers to sync propery. This is not good at all. I am now thinking about MIDIoverLAN, but I'll take a look at MIDIPipe. I need something that is rock solid reliable. The other consideration I had was this. Do Apps like MIDIPipe and MIDIoverLAN further tax cpu? If so, I'd like to avoid using them. I need all the processing for VI and other softsynths.

In short, I need this to work.

Edited by Doc Jerome

David, the computers are connected via Ethernet. I do have the same "Session" or netport selected for both sending and receiving data under Live routings on *both computers.* I'll try changing receiving data on the DAW's Network port selections.

Thanks, I'll let you know if it works.

Doc, do not use the same MIDI Ports for sending and receiving. If you are sending on MIDI Netport 1, then make sure MIDI Netport 1 out of the physical input on the same computer is cabled into a "trash" object (one that isn't routed anywhere), just so that it doesn't come back to the same computer.

That's quite an interesting point. I have noticed the following: when using for example MIDI Netport 1 for sending, the port appears as input port in Logic but actually it does NOT receive any data sent to this port from the same computer. So in contrast to IAC there seems no need to block that input port for avoiding feedback (provided that the other computer doesn't send back the received data directly on the same port).

Edited by Fred B

I at least had both computers synched last night, . . . now they see oneanother in the network settings, but there is no sync. MIDIoverLAN it is.

Look, if this is going to be a feature in Logic Pro and on Macs, this should be a lot easier to do and more reliable than this. I am very disappointed.

That's quite an interesting point. I have noticed the following: when using for example MIDI Netport 1 for sending, the port appears as input port in Logic but actually it does NOT receive any data sent to this port from the same computer. So in contrast to IAC there seems no need to block that input port for avoiding feedback (provided that the other computer doesn't send back the received data directly on the same port).

Fred, you are correct, I was thinking IAC.

With MIDI over LAN that's not an issue unless you start routing MIDI in a loop by rec-enabling a MIDI track routed to the other computer on each computer.