need advice regarding mac pro

dhgmusic

Gentlemen, hope everybody is doing well, and wishing your music is rocking the way you want it

I need advice from you.

I own a G5 dual 2ghz and a runing pt7.2 with a magma chasis and 6 accell process cards, four 192's and 4 digimic pres

my main reverbs are 2 system 6000 plus a bunch of plugins

I also have a g4 dual 1ghz runing logic and a lot of virtual instruments,

I do all my sequencing on pt, and use logic as a sound module conecting both computers using midioverlan

Now I want to buy the new mac pro quad 3ghz, but if I do the crossgrade to intel with protools, most lokely Ill have to buy a new chasis, scsi cards, etc

My comon sense tells me that I can use the money to buy 2 computers, 1 to run gigasampler and the macpro to replace the g4

My only concern is, does anybody know where is digi heading with protools on ppc?

I dont know if soon, version 8 will be ONLY INTEL or something like that, like happened to version 6 that is osx only

can somebody advice me what to do?

I know my pt rig is not gonna stop working the minute the new version comes up, but if I knew i lil bit about what to expect, that would help me take a better decision

Thanks for your time and your answers

My only concern is, does anybody know where is digi heading with protools on ppc?

I dont know if soon, version 8 will be ONLY INTEL or something like that, like happened to version 6 that is osx only

dhg,

There's no evidence that anything will be intel only in any practical near future. All software is being written in Universal Binary which supports both platforms.

If your protools works and it seems like it woks perfect - there is no need to change at all.

I just got my macpro yesterday for my logic 7.2.3 but my main work is and will stay in protools. So i run protools on my old computer and logic on the macpro. I run two computers through Belkin swather on one monitor... it works perfect. i hear stories that Belkin don’t work properly but people forgetting that things need to be set the right way up. lol

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

actually i have to apologize for recommending Belkin KVM switcher... it stopped working few days after i wrote my comment.

as for now i run 2 computers: MacPro and G4 on new monitor with 2 inputs.

the picture is way better ... the only thing is that i had to spend more money.

sorry if i mislead anybody.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

In my opinion there is no need to upgrade every time there is new computer unless you are making soooo much money that you don’t care...

I wanted to stay currant with logic which excites me a lot.

There will be tons of new info about ProTools in January during Namm show... and as you can imagine, protools will not stop.

Bal

Edited by Bal

actually to be honest with you, my pt rig works really well but it laks of a copl of things that logic has, virtual instruments for one, wich is the reason why im adding the second computer, so i dont push the procesor due to the rtas pulgins

The other thing it bothers me a lot is the fat that i,m not able to customize PT as much as i would like, and I know logic is the king on that area, so my feelings are that ill end up switching and make logic the center of my recording studio and not the other way around

I guess my only question would be, if i should go ahead and get also a gigastudio computer, or with kompact 2 and the esx24 that I already own , will be enough

thanks for your response, at least feel really confident regarding the crossgrade issue

good luck