same tune sounds different in itunes than in logic ?

raoul

Hi !

I´m mixing a project with 24bit 48khz files .

When i bounce a mix to disk and open it in itunes (latest version) there´s difference in the sonic spectrum and dynamics ...

Both logic and itunes feeds the same sound interface (Mindprint) via optic cables.

It is not the final bounces I make - it´s just to reference each tune to each other.

I don´t dither nor do i cahnge sample rate.

All the sound "enhancement" options are turned off in itunes´ prefs ..

As far as I can see the sound should be exactly the same ..

It isn´t ... It´s not horrible but i do notice a slight change to the sound ..

What is going on ? anyone ?

thanks !

EDIT : by the way my master fader object isn´t clipping or anything like that ..

I think Apple uses something to convert audio in real time in order to play files with high bit depth or sample rates. For example, I can play a 24/96 file from the finder out of my built-in audio, knowing built-in audio doesn't have hi res converters. This may be the same thing iTunes is doing, though when you 'Get Info' for a hi res song, it lists the higher bit depth and sample rate.

What if you use QuickTime to play the files? How does it sound?

I am curious about this difference, as I've noticed it somewhat myself.

I think Apple uses something to convert audio in real time in order to play files with high bit depth or sample rates. For example, I can play a 24/96 file from the finder out of my built-in audio, knowing built-in audio doesn't have hi res converters. This may be the same thing iTunes is doing, though when you 'Get Info' for a hi res song, it lists the higher bit depth and sample rate.

What if you use QuickTime to play the files? How does it sound?

I am curious about this difference, as I've noticed it somewhat myself.

Yeah I think you´re right - there has got to be some kind of downsampling/bit reduction thing going on ..

Haven´t noticed anything with quicktime and this thing with itunes .. it´s actually the first time i´ve payed attention to it ...

I´ve been mixing for about a week - your ears starts to get sensitive to the tiniest of details ... :-D

Archived