New intel mac crashing

druw

Help!!! i'm using Logic 7.2.3 with a dual 2.66ghz Intel Mac Pro G5, 2gb RAM, i use Battery 3 for drums and my soundcard is a MOTU 828mk 2. The problem i have is that every so often Logic quits suddenly or even worse the whole computer crashes and i have to reboot.

The people at Apple help have suggested it's a soundcard problem, I've the latest driver for the MOTU but it's hard to test as the crashes are intermittent. Could it have something to do with Battery, my Logic/OS X settings?? Everything else works fine but this is really getting me down. :(

I experienced a similar problem with my machine - 2.3 Dual G5, 2 gigs of Ram. A year after I owned it I started having intermitent shutdown problems. I thought my machine was overheating at first since it was in a cabinet. We installed exhaust fans to eliminate that problem and it still happened. Over the last couple of months it became progressively worse. Not only was it shutting down everytime I tried to move tracks around in my arrange window but it got to the point where it shutdown when I tried to open "ITUNES"! Yes, I tunes... I'm the idiot who didn't purchase Apple Care but I was forced to take it in (note: the nearest Apple Store to me is 2 hours away). Every blog that I read said that it was either a PMU or a power supply issue. They replaced my power supply and I've been running fine for the past two weeks. Hopefully everything keeps working smoothly (knock on wood). Take it to the experts and have them repair your machine while it's still under warranty. I doubt very seriously that it has anything to do with the software.

P.S. purchase apple care!

Cheers guys!! i think my problem is different to the one above as the 828 mk 2 is very stable and i've got the latest driver, Apple reckon it's the memory so i have to go through the long and painful process of trying different ram chip configurations to islolate the problem :x