Marker and Editing Questions

Jazzooo

Hello, my friends--

You have no idea how much I appreciate your help when I tumble on here at my wit's end. Thank you in advance.

I have flown some audio tracks (6 drum tracks with a burst at the front of each) into a song that has a tempo map. The tracks were recorded to a click at the same tempo, so once I get them lined up properly, it should be no problem. However...

How can I set up markers so they don't automatically move to a bar line? It's really annoying to find the perfect spot then hit Control + M and have it create a marker several ticks later. While I'm at it, I'd love to be able to scroll in smaller increments than single measures, and also move audio around in smaller increments than the default ticks, which is what happens now.

One other weird one: several of the tracks were wav files taken off my Roland VS2480. They have lined up with the downbeat of the downbeat of a 6/4 rhythm landing on the 6 instead of the one--they were probably done that way on the original machine. My question is--how do I grab everything and move it to just the right spot? If I make the wavs large enough to see accurately, I'm moving the tracks one at a time. Once I get the downbeat to be on a measure beginning, it will be simpler. But failing that--how do I get everything else to line up at 6 1 1 1?

Thanks!

Doug

"It's really annoying to find the perfect spot then hit Control + M and have it create a marker several ticks later."

You probably have this command set to "Create Marker." What you want is "Create Marker without rounding." That'll make a marker at the exact point of the SPL. Otherwise it is rounded to the nearest bar.

"I'd love to be able to scroll in smaller increments than single measures...."

Look into the key commands rewind and forward "by format value." This will advance the SPL according to the grid format which is often sixteenth notes.

"move audio around in smaller increments than the default ticks...."

Perhaps you mean the default format. Ticks is the smallest division in which an event can be moved. For greater resolution, you can go to the Sample Editor and do sample accurate moves.

For dragging regions in Arrange or other events (like notes in Matrix): CONTROL while dragging will adjust the event in divisions -- like sixteenths. CONTROL SHIFT will adjust them in ticks, no matter the resolution of the screen.

"how do I grab everything and move it to just the right spot?" I assume you mean audio regions, not anchor adjustments. Select the regions you want to move, set the SPL to 6 1 1 1, and use the key command "Pickup Clock." All selected regions will now start at the SPL's location.

"

You probably have this command set to "Create Marker." What you want is "Create Marker without rounding." That'll make a marker at the exact point of the SPL. Otherwise it is rounded to the nearest bar. "

Thanks, that worked Plowman. However, I have a Tascam 1884 with a convenient 'Marker' button which supposedly allows me to set markers on the fly (just like "Control M" is supposed to, or so I thought). Isn't there some way to set the Logic default response to setting markers so they end up where I want them every time, as opposed to where it thinks my marker should be? To open up the options menu every time I want to set a marker off the downbeat seems cumbersome. Anyone?

""I'd love to be able to scroll in smaller increments than single measures...."

"Look into the key commands rewind and forward "by format value." This will advance the SPL according to the grid format which is often sixteenth notes. "

16th notes isn't small enough for what I want--I'd really like to move these four tracks about a frame, a 30th of a second. I still can't figure out how to do that.

""I'd love to be able to move audio around in smaller increments than the default ticks...."

"Perhaps you mean the default format. Ticks is the smallest division in which an event can be moved. For greater resolution, you can go to the Sample Editor and do sample accurate moves."

I guess I'm too remedial a user to fully understand this--to do what I'm saying above, how do I move four tracks about a 30th of a second (a frame)? How many samples is that? How do I move things by a few ticks, as opposed to 16th notes?

"For dragging regions in Arrange or other events (like notes in Matrix): CONTROL while dragging will adjust the event in divisions -- like sixteenths. CONTROL SHIFT will adjust them in ticks, no matter the resolution of the screen."

I tried Control-Shift, but instead of moving the selected audio regions, the SPL moved and the image on my screen started scorlling in the opposite direction in which I was trying to move the tracks. What do you think I'm doing wrong?

"how do I grab everything and move it to just the right spot?"

I assume you mean audio regions, not anchor adjustments."

I don't understand this, I'm blush to admit. Let me ask the question this way: I have an audio region which starts at 6 1 1 1 but the actual audio starts a measure or so later. I need to shift the downbeat of the audio to a spot where I've placed a marker using Create Marker without Rounding. So far, I'm unable to do that, as it doesn't fall on a 16th note division. I don't know what an anchor adjustment is.

" Select the regions you want to move, set the SPL to 6 1 1 1, and use the key command "Pickup Clock." All selected regions will now start at the SPL's location."

So in this case, you're saying to change the length of the actual region so that it starts with the downbeat of the audio, then moving it to 6 1 1 1. But I actually want it a hiar later than 6 1 1 1. How do I accomplish that?

Thanks.

Isn't there some way to set the Logic default response to setting markers so they end up where I want them every time, as opposed to where it thinks my marker should be?

Use the Key Command window's MIDI Learn button to assign that knob on the control surface to 'Create Marker without Rounding'.

I'd really like to move these four tracks about a frame, a 30th of a second.

Look for the 'Nudge' key commands, or set your snap to format or ticks, or hold down 'Control' or 'Control+Shift' when moving your Regions.

I tried Control-Shift, but instead of moving the selected audio regions, the SPL moved and the image on my screen started scorlling in the opposite direction in which I was trying to move the tracks. What do you think I'm doing wrong?

You're holding down Control Shift, then clicking the mouse. You want to start clicking the Region, hold down the mouse button, then move the Region.

I don't know what an anchor adjustment is.

That's what you need to learn. Double click your Region, adjust the anchor (which is the point in your audio file determining its position in the Arrange), then use the 'Pickup Clock' key command to move it to the SPL position, which you'll have placed at the beginning of the marker by Option-clicking it. The anchor will move to the SPL position, not the start of the Region.

Thanks, David--this all sounds logical. I'm off to a remote session right now, but I'll get into it all tomorrow. I look forward to learning all this stuff. As you can tell, I'm learning as I go, and unfortunately 'as I go' means being a little under the gun now and then. One of these days I'll be in a position to attend a Logic class which I'm sure will make my questions even more charming than they already are. :)