I need a frustration punch ball or something

leechlife

Hi

Not sure how well Logic works for most here, but mine keeps bloody crashing, at least once per hour. And that mainly during midi editing, ..

I just lost another hour of work. 2 tacks and one plugin, that's all there is in this project .

I know I should have saved more often, but I forget it whenever I get into a flow.

I just finished a drum tack I was pretty happy with, .. gone.

Moved some midi events around during the final touches, ...bang. goodbye.

There's not a single new feature I wish for, just please don't crash, ...

(particular those crashes where it even doesn't manage to do a crash save of the project)

I just did a clean install of osx, only put on logic and some plugins. I hoped that would improve the situation.

sorry, frustration post, ...

I do have a mac pro ;(.

Logic managed to crash 6 times on me in the last half hour. Iogic$&@+% something in this projects while it crashed the first time. It kept crashing at the exact same point every time after the 2nd crash.

I rebuild the project and now it seem to run again.

mmh.

You have a lot of plugins and some are likely to contribute to crashes like the NI stuff and Melodyne. Not always Logic's fault.

at the moment there is only one plug in in the whole session, which is kontakt 4.

Most of the time I see crashes caused by plugins than it's graceful crash, where it manages to save the session.

I do argue one point ur making: If logic is crashing I would always lay the blame on logic. why?

If a plugin can crash the host then there is something wrong with the host or with whole plugin architecture.

All a plug in should be able to do is crash itself.

A host must be able to handle a crashing plugin. At least it should save the session and give some meaningful error msgs of what went wrong.

Times where any app could read and write wildly throughout the RAM are long gone.

As far as my current crashes go: from what I can read in the crash report it's always the same thread that's crashing.

I think it's actually my DUET that's causing it. I don't wanna believe that, but swapping the audio card for the time being seems to make things look a lot better.

As far I as can read on apogee's page the support is still at 10.5.8, ..

cheers

Do you have both the Apogee and the Alesis connected?

The Alesis is shelved for the days I need more than 2 channels at a time (or will be sold if can afford an ensemble ,... )

thanks for the help, I was wrong it was not the DUET.

I now think it's actually kontakt 4, they released an update that fixed a crash with 9.1.2 if one uses the memory server - which I do not use - but it seemed to help anyway. I haven't tested it long enough to say for sure.

But it looks like I am back to the "normal" crash rate of logic ;), ... which I can live with, if I don't forget the command+s, ... ( actually they should initiate a command+s every time I stop playback.)

I still do believe a plug in architecture should be designed in a way, so that a berserk plug-in can never ever kill the host.

As well as nowadays no application should be able to crash the OS it runs on.

thanks and best regards

Not sure how well Logic works for most here, but mine keeps bloody crashing, at least once per hour. And that mainly during midi editing, ..

I just lost another hour of work. 2 tacks and one plugin, that's all there is in this project .

I know I should have saved more often, but I forget it whenever I get into a flow.

Wow... I've been aboard since Logic7 and I don't think I've crashed 20 times since then! (What's that... Like 2002 or something? Over 4 systems by now... And most of those crashes were early on, in Logic7; I virtually never crash these days.

And still ---and I know you all know to do this--- I SAVE CONSTANTLY! (And not just in Logic; I save frequently in any application I'm using.) C'mon! It takes like 2 SECONDS! If I finish a punch? I save. Edit a snare hit? I save. Stretch my arms? I save. Scratch my head? Save. Ponder the ergonomics of my control room? Save. Take that phone call? Save. Try to recall if I saved? Save. Lean back to admire my work? Save. Save, save, save, save, save! It's just too easy to do.

Now... Obviously, if you're crashing that much ---literally more in a week than I have in a decade--- there are some other things that need to be examined. But... I would still be able to forge ahead by simply saving every single move I make (basically what I do now).

So... I wish you good luck. And SAVE!

Archived