Acoustic guitar!

I am looking for the perfect setup to record an acoustic guitar in logic pro.....

Now I've tried to look for plug ins.... didn't find any and I never know what would be the perfect reverb.... or eq.... or what ever you use to make it sound perfect!!

If anyone could help that would be great!

thanks guys

I am looking for the perfect setup to record an acoustic guitar in logic pro.....

Now I've tried to look for plug ins.... didn't find any and I never know what would be the perfect reverb.... or eq.... or what ever you use to make it sound perfect!!

If anyone could help that would be great!

thanks guys

not to be a dick..but...it starts with the player, guitar, room, microphone and pladement, preamp, EQ Compression A-D convertor before it even hits logic.

A really well played great guitar, by a good player, through a good chain, will need possibly only a touch of EQ, a little compression, and some ambience or verb. Everything else, is fixing in the mix for some inadequacy that comes before it. You cant really recommend plug in A or B or processing chain, without hearing the track in question. Other than to say, EQ to fix/enhance tonal issues, and compression to control dynamics as needed or artistically required, and ambience/delay/reverb to create a sense of "space" that is not in the original tracking, so it fits in the song.

Now to post something that actually helps you...8)

Listen to the dry recorded track, what is it you dont like about it? is it boomy, is the playing dynamically to uncontrolled?

Then fix the tone problems first with EQ, then fix the dynamics either by compression, or mix automation.

If you are using more than about 6db gain reduction (unless artistically) and more than about 6db of EQ change, perhaps retracking will be better.

Another tip, HPF work great on acoustic guitar, start low and wind the FREQ up, it will help clean up the low end bloom (particulary if miced near the sound hole) generally 200Hz cuts work for that as well.

You can get rid of things like pick or finger attack noises with the attack time of the compressor..but this stuff gets tricky.

Try and get a well balanced controlled acoustic guitar sound first.

I hope that is of some help.

Also, NEW STRINGS PLAYED IN A LITTLE make a HUGE DIFFERENCE...8)

cheers

Wiz

Thanks for all of this men but unfortunately I'm really new to this and I didn't quite get what you wrote me .......

My equipment is a :

Preamp Firestudio from Presonus

Mic Audio technica AT 4040

and my guitar

thanks again

cheers

surf

To get even simpler than Wizoz -

What is the application? Is it just gonna be acoustic guitar? Acoustic and vocals? OR a whole slew of other instruments? If your acoustic track is going to be part of a bunch of other tracks in a project, then what you have is a very good start. All of wizoz' advice is great. You have what you need with a mic and logic. It just takes experimentation and practice.

Now, if youre doing solo acoustic, or acoustic with a vocal, folk style, you may want to add a second mic and research stereo mic-ing.

Finally, do you have a point of reference as to what you feel is a perfect acoustic sound? There are lots of different approachs and judgements as to what a great acoustic sound is...

So basically my songs are always mainly acoustic guitar and then I'll play a track of base and sometimes some piano and than I'll add sometimes some midi sounds and what not.......

if you what a good idea my goal would be to reach quality of the band Dashboard Coffesionnal there newest album they made an acoustic side of it and it sounds just perfect....

here is my guitar track tell me what you think or what should I do differently...

thanks again

cheer

surf

guitar mic 1.mp3.zip

Sorry to add my two cents. Really try to record the sound right using as little signal processing as possible. There are lots and lots and lots of great guides all over the internet. They all stress the importance of the guitar, player, room, mic and mic placement.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug01/articles/recacgtr0801.asp

http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_sixstring_strategies/

http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/view.php?id=170

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/recording/basix-how-to-record-the-acoustic-guitar/

Good Luck

hey bro. since your beginning i thought this would be somethign appropriate to say. mic positioning is crucial to recording guitar. getting a good pure guitar sound (without effects) is by far the most important thing. effects should enhance a sound not create (in most cases).

i mic guitar in a millions different ways but one i always start off with is using 2 mics one on the 12th and bridge angled inward toward the sound hole. your 4040 would prob sound great at the 12th about 8"-12" out facing inward towards the sound hole. but be sure to test it out.

there are millions of ways to record. and because there is so much technology these days people can literally make a vocal from an sm 58 sound like it came from a neumann.

i've heard amazing guitar from a direct box to a pre. (something that sounds like crap in a lot of cases).

spending time with my friend who just recorded an amazing EP for another friend of mine. he spent 8 hours on just mic placement. though this may seem like a waste of time it can really make the difference in your record.

work on getting a great guitar sound. and then after your done. i bet you wont even need any verb or other things on the recording.

Well thanks for the great tips.... I think what I'm missing the most is a sound room.... I'm in my basement in just a normal room and I think it would make a great difference to have a sound proof room to make the sound purer....

In terms of how I placed my mic ..... I basically put my 4040 on my bridge about 6 to 8 inches away and that's what came out of it. What I usually do for it to sound like that is I boost the mic sound supper high... and then I play really softly so I don't peak....

what do you think?

surf

Try a dry recording at the 12th fret. Just so you have a reference point. That should give you brighter sound without having to eq like mad. Just do some tests with your mike at the bridge, the 12th, the sound hole, the back so you get sense of what one mic can sound like. Then futz with the one that is closest to what you have in your head. Yes futz is a very technical term, takes year of school to understand true futzing.

• 3 months later...

I think you've got a very nice acoustic guitar sound in that clip, Surf. At first I thought it might benefit from a little low-end, but as it progressed, the low-end filled in as you played it more. It still might be a tad bright, but I couldn't tell you without trying a little eq and listening if it might be improved. Along the same lines, I do like some fret sound in acoustic recordings. It gives it some authenticity. But, the squeak sound of you sliding fingers up the strings is a little loud at times. This may be due to how bright the recording is, or where your mic is located, or just your guitar technique. It has a very clean sound which is nice, but perhaps could be a warmed up a little, in my opinion. Overall, I think it sounds excellent. I record acoustic music similar to this, but I am just getting used to logic. I wonder what you've learned about setting up that perfect guitar sound you were after, and what you could share with me. I think I would be pleased with the sound you have achieved.

joefish

Archived