BT's Universal Key Command Project.

Learning from another's key configs is cool. I think that part is fairly obvious.

I don't appreciate the logic of a 'shared environment' though: IE going to someones studio and having the exact same mappings. You can set that up yourself nearly instantly.

Why doesn't BT (or anyone) gmail himself the file, and anytime he's at ANY studio, he can quickly get his mail, download the file and instantly remap the keys...?

This is a common problem in the 3D / CG world: Everyone has different mappings, and you're constantly moving around. I have my personal config file on the internet and can download and config any machine to my preferences in under a minute.

One thing about BT's setup is obvious, he must be fast. Those configs suggest he does almost everything on the keyboard, which once you get fluid with, is MUCH faster than poking around with the mouse/trackball.

yeah..I'd LOVE to hang with BT for an hour or two just to watch his workflow. Maybe he'll do a video :)

and..If I'm heading to another Logic Studio to work, I keep my PREFS file on a little jump drive with me..Just make sure to make a copy or two of the original ones on the host machine and replace them when the session is done :)

Why doesn't BT (or anyone) gmail himself the file, and anytime he's at ANY studio, he can quickly get his mail, download the file and instantly remap the keys...?

This is a common problem in the 3D / CG world: Everyone has different mappings, and you're constantly moving around. I have my personal config file on the internet and can download and config any machine to my preferences in under a minute.

I like this idea, as standardized key commands... well, why have customizable ones if they are all standardized? Anyway, how about an automator workflow that would automatically upload one's logic prefs to an ftp server once a day? It can be easily whipped up using Transmit (ftp program) and set up as a once a day ical event. Problem with keeping stuff on the web (I do a lot of it, actually) is synchronization.

John

I knew something like this was out there. I strongly believe in key commands being a video editor and motion graphics guy key commands really determine whether I can do work fast or eat up valuable time. Usually for me to learn a program I just print out the shortcuts and off I go.

Once you start forcing yourself to use shortcuts I gurantee you will never go back.

As an amateur part time producer at home it's a real thrill to have Key Commands that have been tried, tested and adopted by such experienced professionals !! They may not ultimately suit everyone but it was obvious in LA that Brian was really passionate

about trying to get a standard adopted !!

I also agree with the comment about being able to have them stored on the Dongle !! That would be really cool just being able to plug it in anywhere and having them there!!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a really good idea. I'm all for it and I will be changing my key commands to the BT standard set.

I still think it's great that Logic Pro allows anyone to personalize the key commands - I hope they don't change that.

Thanks for sorting this out BT/David.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of the way BT had his commands set up, and, as I work towards becoming a Certified Trainer, I also recognize the need to learn/use APPLE's 'default' keycommands for many reasons (one of them being able to just walk into someone elses default Logic rig and start working/teaching)..

I've attached my key commands file as a 'work in progress'. It's a combination of all of the above. Feel free to have a look.

main changes: I use the ' key for capture last take as recording. I still use BT's "w.e.r.t' keys for zooming, as that's the PTools standard. I use '\' for toggling cycle on and off, and '=' for Set Locators to Region. Being a keyboardist, I really love SINGLE KEY key commands that are easy to access.

of course..if anyone sees any workflow ideas I might be missing here, feel free to share!

don't forget to BACK UP YOUR FILES (in a few different places..) before loading mine up!!

com.apple.logic.pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

dk,

i can't seem to import your key commands? I download them and try to import them just like I have done with other ky commands but for some reason my logic is not recognizing the file as something it can work with.

I am running 7.2.3

Would like to grab these updates you have made cause I believe they probably address very similar issues that I have...running between pro tools and logic.

Thanks

Josh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the key command list awhile ago and was simply afraid to try them. I thought that it would take a long time to learn them, and that they would be drastically different then my custom setup.

Truthfully they are much better than my custom set up. And I still add new ones to BT's key command list.

But seriously his are super duper. How about intuitive stuff like mixer window being com+M, lol. awesome. and record is super sweet too com+space bar.

I've added some he/we didn't have before though. One of my fav.'s is demix region by note pitch (thanx to David a la ReMix Hotel Miami) that is shft+opt+D. and another one of my fav.s that I added is "tile windows horiztonally" shft+opt+t.

These key commands are awesome, and it is good to know that the next time I'm working with Deep Dish or BT we can all be on the same page

:wink:

thanx for the upload!!!

not sure why you can't open them...anyone else??

dk are you sending him your key commands? If sending "your" key commands you should probably send the com.apple.logic.pro file.

josh does Logic give you an error when you try to import the key commands?

Wow, David. Thanks tons for posting this. I just imported them last night and while it almost hurts my hands not to do things the way I've been doing them for the last few years the universal project makes loads of sense.

I thought there were a couple of important ones missing, though. Example, no shortcut for open the event list editor? I added my own (opt-com-0), but it still struck me as odd. I also thought it was odd that he didn't have next and previous settings for plug-ins (for which i use ']' and '[') so I added those as well.

I think the universal thing is a brilliant idea and think that it is a shame that there are those who can't see the value.

you're welcome!

hm...I don't actually USE the 'event list editor' very much...hence I didn't notice the kc not being there :)

and, for 'prev/next' plugin setting, etc., I use the + and - keys on the numeric keyboard.

Ha! Two Davids, one topic. I was actually referring to the BT command list that Dave the admin posted, but I'm sure yours is great too! :)

I struggled a bit with what BT had done with his commands at first but they all make perfect sense for the most part. I was surprised that the Event Window command wasn't in there but was able to make my own assignment.

Nikkik, I don't think it's about caring what BT is doing, it's caring about what everybody's doing. Establishing a universal list makes loads of sense. I haven't seen anyone else attempt to establish a standard.

...my post was actually being devil's advocate.

I think you've really 'overthought' this one, Nikki...

While a 'universal' set of keycommands is interesting to me, I do agree that Logic/PTools, etc., should allow you to save different 'groups' of KC's for each individual user (same with preferences).

For me..I considered myself pretty new to Logic when this post first came out. Personality things aside, I think BT does some great work, and why NOT try and learn how/why he does things? I opened up the KC's and WOW..there's a lot of stuff in there.

I spent a rainy saturday just looking at his list and trying to figure out the workflow. Some of it made a LOT of sense, some didn't...mostly because they were features I didn't use.

A typical day for me would be spending a few hours on PT on a PC, a few hours on Logic on a Mac, then a few hours on PT on a Mac. My brain tends to just explode with so many DIFFERENT kc's... I really like how BT incorporated a good chunk of kc's from PTools Mac into Logic.

Now I only get confused on the PC side of PTools/Icon at the big studio.

I've actually gotten to where I only use a solid handful of KC's most of the time (and the 'special' things you can only do with KC's on Logic.."...when my students/coworkers watch me work, it's inevetable they ask 'why aren't you using xxxx key command to do xxxx"?.....

"uhm..I killed too many brain cells in my youth..It's easier for me to remember which menu things are listed in..."

hehe

Sorry Dave, I deleted all the posts in this thread. If I knew I could have simply put 3 characters in my first post, which I did due to not being able to delete my post, I would have. I tried to delete the content and hit submit, but it said I needed to write a message. So I tried an asterisk. Same message. So, I wrote that I could care less. Oops. I'll come hang with Patrick next time instead...lol... Edited by nikkik

I'm not going to call you over-reactionary or anything like that because that is childish, but I really have to question why you are getting so upset or harboring so much discontent for the suggestion of using some sort of universal keyset. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine, but inferring that the key commands being provided are being done so out of arrogance is really inappropriate.

Nowhere in the quote in the original post here did anyone refer to BT as a "god" or any of the other artists that have included themselves in the project. Nothing about BT providing the key command list that he and others have come up with screams of arrogance to me. I haven't seen any of the "blind praise" that you so vehemently express in all of your posts. I simply see a group of people who are grateful to be given an opportunity to see how someone else works. How is BT providing this file any different from watching a video tutorial from macprovideo or any other place. Do you get all worked up when Martin Sitter tells you a specific way to do something? Do you falsly project godlike status on him as well and cast discontent on those who "blindly follow" his educational methods?

You're either misinterpreting what was said, reading something that isn't there, or have some other reason to suggest an air of arrogance about the availability of these key commands. I have no idea where your animocity is being derived from or why you feel the need to express it here, but it's really not condusive to anything that any of us are trying to achieve by participating in this forum.

If you don't want to use the key commands, don't care to explore them or simply feel they don't work for you, then just don't use them. There's no need to come here and make several lengthy posts that make assumptions about what kind of people BT and the others involved in the project are. It's unprofessional and inconsiderate to the others posting here.