BT's Universal Key Command Project.

• 2 weeks later...
when ever i hit apple>space bar it opens spotlight, instead of record. anybody know how to fix this?

Go to your System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts

You'll see all the system shortcuts there. You can either reassign it, or simply turn it off.

• 3 weeks later...

Well First I'll say the idea of a universal command set is a great IMO... and the idea of getting the key commands close to the Pro Tools commands is an even better idea (and one I've been thinking about for a long time now). So I think what BT is trying to do is very cool and is received with open arms by me.

However I've downloaded BT's set and to be honest they aren't that close to Pro Tools commands (wasn't this part of the idea?). I'm sure they make good sense but they seem to favor BT's personal preferences rather than say the PT standard and even more so his set is missing lots of commands I tend to use a lot (mostly stuff in the environment page). So I'm up in the air with BT's set... on one hand I'd like to start using it and on the other I'd prefer it be closer to the PT commands and I'd still have to modify it a bit like the others here already have.

Would be cool actually if there was a sort of committee working on a standardized command set that was built from the feedback of many users before being feed through a review board and then on to a download of a 'work in progress'. This way we'd all have say in this so called "standard" rather than it just being one persons way of working (which is I'm sure a great way of working, but you get my drift I think). Sorry to get all political with it but thats just my thoughts... I hate politics!

Cheers

• 2 months later...

You don't need to rename it. Open Logic 8, open the Key Commands dialog, and in the options menu choose 'Import Key Commands...' to import the file you unzipped. That's all you need to do to get them into Logic 8. But if you then choose to import another set, or use one of the factory presets then they will be overwritten and you'll need to reimport them to get them back.

If you think you'll be switching back and forth a lot then I recommend you drop the BT file here:

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Key Commands/

Then they'll show up at the bottom of the presets menu.

Logic Pro 8 lets you export key commands. They are saved with a .logikcs extension. The original BT key commands in this thread are from Logic 7 and cannot be imported using the method above. Otherwise, the version you downloaded and the original version are functionally identical.

Perfect!! Thanks again.

J.

You don't need to rename it. Open Logic 8, open the Key Commands dialog, and in the options menu choose 'Import Key Commands...' to import the file you unzipped. That's all you need to do to get them into Logic 8. But if you then choose to import another set, or use one of the factory presets then they will be overwritten and you'll need to reimport them to get them back.

If you think you'll be switching back and forth a lot then I recommend you drop the BT file here:

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Key Commands/

Then they'll show up at the bottom of the presets menu.

Logic Pro 8 lets you export key commands. They are saved with a .logikcs extension. The original BT key commands in this thread are from Logic 7 and cannot be imported using the method above. Otherwise, the version you downloaded and the original version are functionally identical.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so if I d-load this and use it how much trouble am I gonna have while learning logic with your Book David?

I just got to chapter 6 and am just gettin used to the commands in the book...

Great book by the way!

Hi Nick,

I would suggest that you master the key commands of David's Book. I do have BT key command and is very good but first get familiarize with Logic's KC before venturing into using BT's KC.

I have made Logic Pro KC as a Desktop wallpaper. Have a look and you can download it.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=24462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i just read that Powerkeys is coming out with commands especially for Logic 8. Is this worth looking into??

burger

Another suggestion for you..

http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=133

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Can anyone who is using BT's commands tell me what specific commands he has incorporated that differ from the default? I am not so much concerned with the placement of commands as I am with what is included or excluded vs. each other.

One other question.....does anyone know of any other companies similar to KB Covers that will do custom key covers? I am someone who would greatly benefit from such a keyboard since my memorization skills are crap.

The reason I mention both of these in the same post is that I am trying to determine weather I should go with the KB Cover for Logic and customize the few (if they are few) key commands that are most beneficial from BT's template into the default template, or if I would benefit from BT's template more than a slightly altered version of the default. Obviously everyone is different and has their own taste, which is why I am trying to figure out what is included or missing from each to determine my preference.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• 3 years later...