Guitar instead of midi keyboard

The landscaping is changing...

Is this for sequencing? Live performance? Or both?

Electric or acoustic?

Check out the range of synth access guitar offered by Godin.

I use a Godin LGX-SA. Gorgeous 3 voice guitar. It needs a MIDI converter. I have the Axon AX-100 and Roland GI-20 both of which are no longer available.

Roland still offers the GR-20 (with built-in sounds) which requires a MIDI connection vs USB :? The other option is the VG-99.

It's not clear what new MIDI converter options will be available for guitars equipped with GK-3 type pickups or those with RMC piezo pickups such as the Godin.

You Rock Guitar may be a viable option for sequencing. Starr Labs is supposedly coming out with a Rock Guitar that looks to be a better quality alternative to the YRG.

I picked up a Ztar Z7S from Starr Labs recently. It is a very different beast, like a blend between guitar (string triggers) and an Slovenan accordian (buttons on the fretboard vs strings).

I have a Fender Roland Ready Strat and Roland VG-99 with USB output. Also a headless custom called a Mini Gordo. Have had Brian Moores, Godins. I have a You Rock Guitar as well. The gaming industry seems to be driving the midi controller industry in many ways. I bet there will be some nice offerings at the Winter NAMM show, Ztar is currently working on the "Rock Controller", A $400 midi guitar controller for the masses. There are a few vids on UTube showing the prototype model.

Thanks Mr. V I looked at those and unfortunately the Godin is simply to expensive. This will be used for composing in the studio and sequencing. I don't intend to use it live. I would prefer an electric guitar/controller. Any other thoughts?

The Sonuus options are very inexpensive but produce monophonic conversion, great for bass or lead lines. This is certainly suitable for sequencing orchestral instruments which are primary monophonic. Not good for keyboards.

Any option with a guitar is going to cost a bit because of the added or built-in GK (Fender Roland Ready) or RMC pickups plus a converter.

If your only going to sequence with the controller, then a Your Rock Guitar might be a reasonable and inexpensive option. Not having used on, I'm not sure how expressive it is in terms of velocity sensitivity.

If you want to sequence MIDI while recording the audio output of your guitar, then you're back to the costlier option of guitar, MIDI pickup and converter.

Even though they went out of business a while back, if you can find a Switch guitar with a built in GK2 that might be fairly inexpensive.

The whole Switch guitar claim to fame was that they were all a kind of one piece extrude/molded plastic resin material.

I got mine 3-4 or so years back when they were still in business new for just under $300 if I recall.

Basically you're getting the GK2 with a free guitar. The guitars are actually pretty good if I do say so. Ugly though.

This is the only web pic I could find. Its the same as mine except this one is not a GK2 model. Theres also several other body types that come with a GK2 as well

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o53/Moodydoody/big.jpg

• 7 months later...