Fixing Drums With Inconsitent Tempo

EWSEthan

Hey guys,

Im getting started with Logic Express and trying to help a buddy with his bands demo. The drums and bass were done live together and the drummer could not play to a click. So... Of course songs speed up, slow down, and some songs are also just entirely too fast from start to finish.

Besides redoing these tracks with other musicians, what's the best way using flex to align these tracks to their correct tempos? Or is this not even possible at all?

Thanks!

Matt

Beat Map, then Flex.

Christian

I thought beat mapping was used to make the beat follow the performance not the other way around?

If I want the whole song to be 120bpm and it's currently all over the place, will beat mapping help me correct it? I thought it would just let

you add parts to a click that's based off the performance.

You have to tell Logic what and where the performed tempo is. You do that with Beat Mapping. Then you can use Flex to change it in a reasonable way.

You could use Flex without Beat Mapping first. That would be like painting a picture with eyes closed. Funny, if you're in search of somthing funny.

Christian

Thanks. If I have a few tracks (one for snare, one for kick, etc) that were all recorded together and thus have the same tempo fluctuations is it possible that I can beat map them all together or do I just beat map the kick and then apply the tempo information to all the other tracks?

Id hate to have to beat map all individually! That would take forever.

You can beat map using any events in any audio region: just click the desired audio region. You could even bounce all drums to a stereo file, reimport it in your arrangement and use it just for beat mapping.

But depending on the variations in tempo, it might be enough to only beat map kick and snare, or kick, snare and hi-hat, etc...

Once you've beat mapped the entire song, turn on the slicing Flex mode for all your drum tracks, and choose an alternative tempo in the global tempo track. At that point Flex should do its work and give you a straight tempo performance.