Logic 8 crashes when initialising core with one project

Eliseo

Hello there, I just need help in order to keep working on one of my projects. I can't open it anymore and it only happens with one Logic project as far as I know. I still can open the old ones but not the last one I was working on. I believe the problem was installing all the komplete 7 free players because after that I started to have the problem. I have emptied all plug ins, trash all komplete 7 and logic preferences files many times,bur I still can't open that project session. It seems that it has been corrupted somehow.. Has anyone have the same problem? I need to keep working on this project but it crashes all the time. I can't reinstall mac os 10.6 because I need to but a new hard drive and back up loads of data previously. Please advice!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks!

imac 3Ghz, mac os 10.6.6, Logic Studio 8

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I don't have time machine. I did have older versions of the project inside of the same folder and any of them open without making Logic to crash.. Even when I copy them to an external drive and open them from there..

anymore thoughts?

I did have older versions of the project inside of the same folder and any of them open without making Logic to crash.. Even when I copy them to an external drive and open them from there..

anymore thoughts?

Seeing that those versions you have don't crash Logic can't you just open up a backup version and continue from there?

The whole folder with all the versions seems to be corrupted. I copied the folder to different drives and loading the files externally but nothing. I have just now reinstalled Logic on another computer, an old laptop with mac os 10.5, and it keeps crashing Logic even on the laptop!! I can't believe it! what have I done??

I hate NI!! I can open the project by pressing Ctrl and disabling the Core driver so I deleted the f$@%ing Komplete plug ins from all the tracks, saved the project a thousand times, trying it with different names but nothing. It seems that the whole folder has been corrupted with all the data inside..

Thanks for the effort. The audio files seem to be okay. However, all the mix (47 tracks with hundreds of regions and automation, midi, etetc) All is gone.. I learn the lesson and I don't install anything on the computer after I finish a project like that. I will save money for a huge drive and timemachine though. Do you use timemachine? Is it easy to use or is it too complicated? My problem is that I have only one firewire port on my imac and it doesn't like to work in a chain while using my motu 828mkII.. Oh well.. hope to feel better in a couple of weeks..

Cheers!

I use Time Machine & it's gotten me out of a jam a few times. It's simple to use and it gives you peace of mind if something goes wrong (like it did to you) to know there's at least one avenue to take. As far as the FireWire is concerned have you thought of using a hub?

Thanks Buzwah, I used a hub but the Motu doesn't like to work in a chain with the imac for some reason. I also need to adjust the clock on the Audio MIDI Setup constantly or it will go crazy after an hour or so. It seems that the Motu driver is not the best to work with Snow Leopard and other devices at the same time. But regarding Timemachine I'm looking for a new hard drive right now to start using it with my mac. My imac's HD is 1TB so I'm thinking to buy an Iomega USB3 1TB HD. Would be this sufficient? I read that I need at least a HD with the same size of the computer's HD. However, I think the imac's HD will still be slightly bigger than the Iomega one (maybe 50 to 100MB MB bigger). Would it be still okay, or do I definitely need a bigger HD for Timemachine??

I managed to mimic the Logic project in the end by disabling the core driver and copy carefully the regions on another project. Then I will make screen snapshots for the automation and plug ins settings and see if I still can mimic those parameters as best as I can.. It takes lot of time but it's def worthy to get hour's of work back.. Let's see..

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

Thanks Buzwah, I used a hub but the Motu doesn't like to work in a chain with the imac for some reason. I also need to adjust the clock on the Audio MIDI Setup constantly or it will go crazy after an hour or so. It seems that the Motu driver is not the best to work with Snow Leopard and other devices at the same time. But regarding Timemachine I'm looking for a new hard drive right now to start using it with my mac. My imac's HD is 1TB so I'm thinking to buy an Iomega USB3 1TB HD. Would be this sufficient? I read that I need at least a HD with the same size of the computer's HD. However, I think the imac's HD will still be slightly bigger than the Iomega one (maybe 50 to 100MB MB bigger). Would it be still okay, or do I definitely need a bigger HD for Timemachine??

I managed to mimic the Logic project in the end by disabling the core driver and copy carefully the regions on another project. Then I will make screen snapshots for the automation and plug ins settings and see if I still can mimic those parameters as best as I can.. It takes lot of time but it's def worthy to get hour's of work back.. Let's see..

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

You could always just do the initial backup through FW, then as time machine does small hourly backups, you could switch it to USB. Then if you need to restore from Time Machine, plug it back into FW.

As long as you keep a healthy amount of free HD space on your Mac, that 50-100MB shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers!

But I read that Timemachine was not gonna allow me to use an external HD automatically if the HD is even a bit smaller than my computer's HD. I do have an external 500GB HD too so If I don't use more than 500GB on the imac, can I still use this HD with Timemachine??

Thanks guys

But I read that Timemachine was not gonna allow me to use an external HD automatically if the HD is even a bit smaller than my computer's HD.

Ooh. That's a bummer. Didn't know that.

I do have an external 500GB HD too so If I don't use more than 500GB on the imac, can I still use this HD with Timemachine??

You could perform your own backups onto that drive. You can get programmes that clone your HDD, rather than using time machine. I've not used them though, sorry!