Sub Mixing Busses

When i'm making beats, i always use a compressor on elements such as cymbals, shakers, other percussion so that it ducks to the kick and snare. This gives me more clarity on those elements, and brings them out in the mix better.

The way i do it its to set kick and snare's outputs to, for example, Bus 1, and then set the sidechain of each compressor to Bus 1.

I want to get into sub mixing, especially on all my drum elements. Usually, to do that, i'd make all the drum elements outputs to the same bus, so i could control them on that aux.

However, i obviously can't do this, as i'm using Bus 1 for kick and snare, and ducking other parts to that. so if i made all elements output Bus 1, things like shakers, etc. would be ducking to themselves, right?

Does anyone know a way i can get round this?

Create a second track with the same settings, copy over your region(s), delete all elements except kick 'n snare from it, route that to bus 1. Then delete kick 'n snare on the original track.

There are other ways to do this, using a multi out instrument. But in an existing project situation, this is the simplest.

You can make a dedicated sidechain audio channel using your kick and snare hits, set the output to none and use that. I usually use this method if I need to sidechain both kick and snare (I usually only use a snare though).

There are other ways to do this, using a multi out instrument. But in an existing project situation, this is the simplest.

Thank you for your responses. Would you be able to describe how to do this please so i can use it in future?

This shows how to do it for a software instrument. However, my beats are in audio.

Is there a way of creating a multiple output (more than one bus) for an audio track?

You have up to eight Sends per Channel. This should suffice for even the most elaborate side-chaining on the planet. If it doesn't, route the track to an Aux and get another eight Sends. Repeat til all 64 Busses are tied up with your kick(ass) side-chain patch, if needed.

Christian

Archived