The Dogsbodies - Deceased (constructive criticism, pls)

PVLKRS

Hi everyone,

As my friends, who recorded this great track, were not satisfied with the way the studio guy mixed it, I offered them that I'll try my best to mix it so the final sound more suits their desires. But my mixing skills are pretty low, I'm still a beginner, so I would like to hear your opinions about the song's sound. And preferably including the ways how to improve it (EQ, Comp, reverb tips etc...).

my mix:

Original:

The key question would be what your friends did and did not like in the original mix and how you have incorporated that in your work.

Without that info it's quite hard to say whether you im- or deproved the mix.

Although I must add that yours sounds pretty squashed to me dynamicwise. I wanted to turn it down whereas I wanted to turn up the original.

Christian

The key question would be what your friends did and did not like in the original mix and how you have incorporated that in your work.

Without that info it's quite hard to say whether you im- or deproved the mix.

Although I must add that yours sounds pretty squashed to me dynamicwise. I wanted to turn it down whereas I wanted to turn up the original.

Christian

Hallo!

Thanks for a quick reply.

Well, the thing my friends find the most annoying in the original mix is that it has too much reverb on it, There's pretty huge reverb on the overall master that is making the song kind of muddy. And there's plenty of reverbs put on individual tracks too. So, achieving more clarity of the song and all the instruments was the main goal for me.

They also wanted synths to be more prominent in the mix, and make more room for them, because they kind of clash with the guitars, eq-wise.

I also discussed the overall dynamics of the song with them and I was told that "it rocks from the beginning to the end and that's how it should be", so stopped worrying about that.

My last mix, the one I posted here, was pretty much accepted by the band, but because I heard the song so many times, I'm just losing good judgement and I want to discuss it with someone with fresh ears and who has more experience so s/he can point out things I missed....

Listening to the original, first thing is the leadvocal. Should have a stereo reverb, it is now a bit deadish in the middle. Also, it gets buried here inthere in the guitarsynths. Panning the backing vocals/harmonies would also help.

I assume the keyboardist wrote or cowrote the song? That synth is inter5fering enourmously with the guitars, they sit in much of the same aspectrum. Ah, song finished, second run... bear with me..

Drums could also be much wider (panning) and the snare a bit more prominent. Just a bit. Also try to stereo-spread the guitars here and there.

Dynamics are okay. Listenable. Okay, the remark regarding the synth is striken. It is just the note right at the end. Needs a bit of polishing still.

okay, now for the remix.

Before it starts playing I can litterally SEE what Christian means about squashed. It does seem to enhance the vocal presence. The reverb here sound like it is the studio itself now. Not much you can do about that, if that is the case. There is an SPL plugin called Deverb you could try.

The dynamics squeeze is not horrtible, but close to horrible... can you bounce and post this again, only without the Compressor or Limiter or AdLimiter or Waves LI, LII or LIII Ultramaximizer or whatever Loudness Enhancing pug it is you used? Let's called it the "unmastered" mix.

Erik.