Does automation comes before compressor ?

I have 2 quick questions concerning, what else but...levels :-)

1. If I put compressor on a track and I want to automate the track so that compressor doesn't have to work as hard on all parts does my compression comes BEFORE or AFTER channel strip fader ?

Does it compress first and than reads automation or it reads automation and than goes to compressor ?

(Because if first is the case than my automation/safer compression theory falls off

:) )

2. If I record electric guitar and I have no clipping in my audio interface gain stage (no red led light), than I go to Guitar Rig with a reasonable input/output level (no clipping), than I have very tiny wave form but I DO go above zero (I clip) Logic's channel strip meter....but this is not clipping actually right ? I mean since I have healthy level all the way and than clipping Logic's channel meter which I can regulate by pulling fader down, so it isn't digital clipping right ?

Thanks

1. If I put compressor on a track and I want to automate the track so that compressor doesn't have to work as hard on all parts does my compression comes BEFORE or AFTER channel strip fader ?

It depends what you're automating. If you're automating volume, then that's after the compressor.

If I record electric guitar and I have no clipping in my audio interface gain stage (no red led light), than I go to Guitar Rig with a reasonable input/output level (no clipping), than I have very tiny wave form but I DO go above zero (I clip) Logic's channel strip meter....but this is not clipping actually right ?

Yes, it is, because you're recording. When recording, the meters show you the recording level. If you see those meters hit zero then you're most probably clipping. Logic doesn't affect your recording level, so the plug-ins and fader on the channel strip cannot help you here: you need to turn down the level on your mic or instrument preamp.

As David stated it's after compression.

Just insert a Gain plug-in above your compressor and try automatic that instead to get the pre-compression leveling.

2. If I record electric guitar and I have no clipping in my audio interface gain stage (no red led light), than I go to Guitar Rig with a reasonable input/output level (no clipping), than I have very tiny wave form but I DO go above zero (I clip) Logic's channel strip meter....but this is not clipping actually right ? I mean since I have healthy level all the way and than clipping Logic's channel meter which I can regulate by pulling fader down, so it isn't digital clipping right ?

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

If you mean that you have recorded dry with no clipping and then inserted a plug-in that makes it clip, then you are fine.

If you're clipping during recording then read Davids answer.

Logicno8, you keep asking the same questions every couple of months, why don't you take notes or something?

:roll:

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=277470#277470

J.

I am really sorry If you guys feel like I'm wasting your time but I just took a huge grasp on this and I'm trying to perceive and process all of the data I read, watch in videos, experience, so I'm forgetting.

I asked this because I saw a lot of videos where people suggested using volume automation in order to ease a bit compression of that track which is, when I think logically makes no sense after all because as you said compressor is BEFORE channels strip fader (even visually) so if I compress a region than what's the point of volume automation for easier compression AFTER that. Maybe if I would use a BUS to send the signal to an Aux track with a compressor and automate native fader volume so that BUS with a compressor is receiving automated volume and than compress after. But as Eric said maybe I should just use automation of GAIN plugin before compressor to get this done.

And yes I got this for clipping. If I record take and I went into red in Logic's channel strip meter, that's clipping.

If I got into red in a plugin such as Guitar Rig but not on a Logic's channel strip I can reduce gain after in Guitar Rig since I didn't go into red in Logic so I didn't clip. Uhhh...I' think I'm getting it.

Thanks jordito....sorry man. I'll try not to repeat myself so much.

And I know we talked a lot abut this but it is just something that keeps popping out at me again. And just when I think I understood something, I realize that there is a huge difference between understanding something and being able to apply that in real life.

Archived