Finale to Logic: best workflow?

ViolaGhost

I put together my scores in Finale 2011 and then sequence them with 3rd Party Orchestral Libraries in Logic. I do this by exporting chunks of tracks as I'm writing them, finding the best patches, etc. I often have to edit hyperscribe data from Finale markings and accents. This is very time consuming, so I'm wondering if there'a better accepted way to work. For example, if I have a violin line that switches between legato, pizz, and tremolo, I need to spread the line between three different tracks.

Is it better to play the lines in on the keyboard once the piece is finished in Finale, or is there an even better alternative?

You can keep 'em on the same track and use Midi channel to flip between articulations.

You might want to get to grips with Logic's notation capabilities to avoid having to do everything twice or more.

Q Ski and his similar avatar...

:D

Sorry for being a total noob, but can you walk me through the process of setting them up on the same track or refer me to a good place to learn?

Thanks a lot!

Set up a multi timbral instrument (Kontakt etc) with each artic set to its own midi channel.

The passages that are pizz need to be on the corresponding midi ch.

So if you lasso/shift select all those bits and open event list and change the midi ch to the one that is pizz in the multi inst,then Bob's your bearded Aunty!

Or use Key switches if you've got them.

Hth.

What Instruments/plugins are you using?

Set up a multi timbral instrument (Kontakt etc) with each artic set to its own midi channel.

The passages that are pizz need to be on the corresponding midi ch.

So if you lasso/shift select all those bits and open event list and change the midi ch to the one that is pizz in the multi inst,then Bob's your bearded Aunty!

Or use Key switches if you've got them.

Hth.

What Instruments/plugins are you using?

Thanks a lot! I'm gonna try that and let you know how it goes. I mostly use EWQL Gold and IK Philharmonic in Kontakt 4.

Do you mean you're exporting to MIDI from Finale, then importing said MIDI into Logic? And (if so,) have you tried turning off Human Playback?

It's been a while since I've needed the actual score for anything I've written, so lately I've just been recording parts directly into Logic and largely ignoring Finale.

Do you mean you're exporting to MIDI from Finale, then importing said MIDI into Logic? And (if so,) have you tried turning off Human Playback?

It's been a while since I've needed the actual score for anything I've written, so lately I've just been recording parts directly into Logic and largely ignoring Finale.

Yep. I have been turning back human playback.

Part of the reason I work this way is because it forces me to focus on writing more and editing less. If I play straight into Logic, I get caught up mixing and coming up with the right patches and lose sight of the bigger picture. I often end up with half a minute of nice, mixed work and then get bored. However, when the music is finished before I start mixing, the results are muh, much better. Plus, it's just easier to see everything that's happening in Finale rather than focusing on a few measures. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Though I hate the expression, I've always seen it as six of one, half a dozen of another. I do get what you're saying though… for me, sometimes I have an easier time if all I'm focusing on is notes and ink, but then other times I have an easier time writing by hearing the better samplers in Logic (no idea how/why/when that happens).

Archived