Syncing Logic With a Otari MX5050

skeeter

Howdy,

I have just obtained a digi 003 and a Otari MX5050 tape machine.

I am wondering is it at all possible to sync it up with logic so as I can utelise the 8 individual 8 tape tracks as well as my digi 003 with 4 inputs so I can have 12 tracks running at the same time.

Any help would be fantastic.

You can, yes, but I would suggest you forget about it. Your Digi003 has 8 inputs, so you could use those, and if that's not enough, ditch it and get an audio interface that has more inputs. Trust me, you'll be much happier in the long run. Who wants to strip SMPTE on a track of the Otari, which BTW means you're losing one track, and which means more problems, troubleshooting, distortion, sync issues etc etc...

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So you think tape is pretty much a waste of time?

I understand striking SMPTE ,losing a track syncing issues etc are painful but

I was hoping to record drums and some rythym tracks to tape.

I guess I could record drums and bass/guitar to tape and then dump them into logic and overdub from there.

But this means I can't record the band in its entirety.

Guess I got to make the decision, I cant really be bothered 'ping-ponging' tape tracks and mixing on the fly.

It's a five piece band Drums ,bass, 2 x guitars, know of any good links that suggest how torecord this configuration to 8 tracks?

thanks for your help David, so much appreciated.

I don't think tape is a waste of time, I think syncing a Logic+Digi003 system with an Otari 8 track is a waste of time. Why do you want to use tape? Is it because of its sound? If that's the case, consider recording the drums onto tape, then transfer to Logic and record the other instruments straight to Logic?

But IMO if sound is an important consideration for you, then your priority should be to get a good audio interface (RME, Metric Halo, Apogee...), some decent mic pres, a few good mics, a good sounding room etc...

Hello,

I do like the sound of tape, and just aquiring it I am quite excited about hitting play and record again on it.

Another reason is that I want to capture the band as a 'live' performance ,with just drop in repairs as the only overdubbing bar vocals.

I have some good pre's and a nice room and i think i'll compromise and get as much down to tape including drums ,bass and a guitar ,dump to logic then overdub the remaining keyboard, guitar and vocals.

It's all good fun.

Thanks for your advice David

Cheers

Howdy,

I have just obtained a digi 003 and a Otari MX5050 tape machine.

I am wondering is it at all possible to sync it up with logic so as I can utelise the 8 individual 8 tape tracks as well as my digi 003 with 4 inputs so I can have 12 tracks running at the same time.

Any help would be fantastic.

Don't you mean your digi 2 with 4 inputs?

You could aggregate the two devices and record directly into Logic. Continue to overdub and edit in Logic, Finally, you can then group and sub out 8 channels to the tape machine and saturate (don't clip your signal out of Logic).

In fact, I think I will dig out my 16 trk machine and goof around today.

Thanks Shivers,

Yeah I do mean 003 , I know it has 8 inputs ,it was just a brain freeze on my behalf.

I like the idea of aggregating the Otari and 003 but how would one go about this.

The 003 no worries but the otari has me well.. stumped.

If you and your 16 track have success, I'd be most interested to here how you went about it.

Thanks

BTW i do appreciate your sense of humor on this forum, always gives me a smile.

Thanks Shivers,

Yeah I do mean 003 , I know it has 8 inputs ,it was just a brain freeze on my behalf.

I like the idea of aggregating the Otari and 003 but how would one go about this.

The 003 no worries but the otari has me well.. stumped.

If you and your 16 track have success, I'd be most interested to here how you went about it.

Thanks

BTW i do appreciate your sense of humor on this forum, always gives me a smile.

Your sig says digi2 and since you recently acquired the digi3. But if you only have 8 inputs, no big deal.

The Otari is simply an 8 track recorder and not an audio interface (right? ). How are you recording the band? Mics, Mixer(s), etc?

Hey Shivers,

( I always think of the Tom Waits sonng 'Shiver Me Timbers' when I see ya name)

Yep I need to update my sig , but as the newly acquired gear is only on loan for a while , at least to do this record , I might wait and see if it becomes mine on a more permanent basis.

Yep the Otari is just a tape machine.

The band is Drums ,Bass, Wurly ,2 Guitars and Vocals (which I'll overdub)

Equipment I have is : Pile of mics

Pre Amps : UA , Avalon, 2 xToft

Pre Sonus Digimax D8 x8 inputs

Digidesign 003

The UA, Avalon and Tofts are using the 003 analog inputs.

Mac 2x 2.8 Ghz quad intel Xeon

Tape machine inputs are wired to the patch by and tape outs run to a little Soundcraft 12 channel mixing desk.

I was hoping to use the 8 003 inputs to feed the tape a nd the Presonus for the other 8 mics.

But what i have just realised , I don't have any spare interface to get the otari back into logic.

I guess I'm just going to record drums and rythym tracks onto tape an dump that into logic and overdub the other instruments.

Or, I could go old skool and with fewer mics on drums get the whole band down to 8tracks on tape, then dump it in to logic.

Or, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Im still not to clued up on aggregate devices either.

Thanks for your time and help.

[/i]

Archived