JABB3 and Logic Pro 9 confusion

Hello, I'm depressed.

Having bought Garritan Jazz and Big Band running Aria 1.111 to go with my new Imac running Logic 9.1.3 under OS 10.6.6 I was really looking forward to dealing with all my big band arrangements created using Cubase and JABB1 on my old PC, in this exciting new mac world. So far I've ported across a test midi file and put it in a logic project file.

I've installed everything, letting the installation procedure put it where it wants it but things don't appear to be happening, certainly as I was expecting and hoping.

I have spent sometime with the manual as I generally blame myself for errors (correctly!) but I am no further forward.

So...

The Aria Player app. is in applications\Garritan Aria Player - as is the library of JABB3 samples etc (surprisingly)

The Aria Player AU.component is in library\audio\plug-ins\components (greyed out but there)

(the vsts seem to be in a sensible directory, too but I'm assuming I don't need them now)

There are no presets in presets\Garritan\Aria Player though the path has been set up, presumably for future use

Aria Player has been successfully validated in Audio Units Manager.

I was hoping/expecting that JABB3 would appear as an instrument in the media library but it doesn't. It doesn't appear via the Settings button in the Logic channel strip. It doesn't appear via the Inserts (well, I'm desperate..). The only sight of JABB3 is in the I/O slot at the bottom as AU instruments - Garritan - Aria Player. Is this the way it is supposed to be? Surely not!? The installation in Cubase SX was a dream compared to this.

I seem to have to create an instance of Aria for every track, but I'm sure that's just my ineptitude and newbiness. PLEASE! ANY HELP? I've been here weeks....

Thanks, Jeff.

Hello, I'm depressed.

There, there.....

The only sight of JABB3 is in the I/O slot at the bottom as AU instruments - Garritan - Aria Player. Is this the way it is supposed to be? Surely not!?

Surely yes! The I/O slots define what is inputting to the channel strip, in this case a virtual instrument, and where the channel outputs to, eg a bus, hardware out, etc. So it's normal that an instrument would reside in the "input" slot since that's what the channel is getting its input from.

Select it there, play/sequence some MIDI, and see if it works!

No idea why the component is "greyed out" in the finder. You've run any authorization routines that the plug-in needs?

Hi Fader 8

Thanks for clarifying that - although no longer 'depressed' I feel 'let down' - after all, Garritan Jazz is an instrument so should be selectable from the library at top level, then enabling you to select the voices from the next level down and so on.

The Aria player does work both in the project and standalone - the only problem I have now is how not to initiate a new instance every time I select Aria Player in order to select a new voice on a different project track.

Any help gratefully etc...!

Jeff.

Hi

The Library in Logic is generally a "library" of Channel Strip Settings, and PlugIn settings. It does NOT, by default, include settings for 3rd party plugins.

You could, however, load 1 instance of Aria (with or without 'instruments' loaded within the plugin), and then Save the Channel Strip setting, or the Plugin Setting

To use Aria with more than 1 sound loaded, you will need to investigate the use of Multi-Timbral instrument plugins within Logic. Note that there are/could be issues for you with the way that Logic currently supports multi-timbral instruments, particularly with reference to channel volume and panning control.

HTH

CCT

Archived