Next Region/Event in Piano Roll ??? (Logic 8)

yagadu

Having trouble with the coupled key command of "Select Next Region/Event".

When I first press this key command while editing in a separate/floating Piano Roll window, it jumps the content of the Piano Roll window to that of the next region (per the Arrange window). Then the second (and each subsequent) time I press it, it stays on that second region and starts selecting each next note (event).

What I need is for the Piano Roll to remain on the current region I am editing and for this command to simply select the next note.

The pop-up Piano Roll seems to work this way, but I can not get this to work when using separate/floating Piano Roll windows...

Why on Earth would "select next region" and "select next event" be coupled? Or why not at least also give separated commands as well?

Thanks for the reply, David.

I see what you mean about key focus. My issue remains though...because as far as I can tell I have the Piano Roll in key focus as soon as it opens (or even click on the title bar to be sure).

Let me step through:

1. With only the arrange window open, I selection region x.

2. I hit the key command to open a floating piano roll window to edit the data of that region.

3. The newly opened floating piano roll window opens, ostensibly with "key focus"-as the title bar of the piano roll window is illuminated and the arrange window in the background is grayed out. Also, the performance data from that region does show in the window (though the window is not centered on the data).

4. If I hit the right arrow key, the data jumps to that of region y per the arrange page. However, when it makes this jump, the window now locks into that region with "key focus". From there on, when I hit right arrow, next events are then selected within region y.

I noticed that when I first open the Piano Roll up, the name of the region is not in the title bar of the window...though the data of that region is somewhere in the window (but not centered, must be scrolled to). It appears that the Piano Roll is in key focus, but that it hasn't locked into the pre-selected region x yet...it isn't officially editing that region yet.

This seems to be the case because when I hit the right arrow and it jumps to the data of the next region, region y...the data of region y is centered in the window and the name of the region appears in the title bar. The Piano Roll has now locked into Region editing mode. Further right arrow clicks cycle through the note events.

Incidentally, I found a roundabout way to get the Piano Roll to lock into that first arrange-selected region (region x) without switching regions. When I first open the Piano Roll, I hit F to open a floating Event List window. When I hit it a second time to close it, the Key Focus goes back to the Piano Roll, but this time with the region name in the title bar and the data centered in the window. Subsequently, the first time I hit right arrow...it selects the "next" note event within region x (without jumping regions) as desired.

So I'm missing some understanding of what mode the window is in when it first opens before it goes to "locking" on that region. How do I get it to lock into the region without having to hit F twice everytime I want to edit something I just opened in the Piano Roll?

Thanks!!

4. If I hit the right arrow key, the data jumps to that of region y per the arrange page. However, when it makes this jump, the window now locks into that region with "key focus". From there on, when I hit right arrow, next events are then selected within region y.

OK that's odd, I'm not getting that behavior: when I hit the right arrow key, it selects the first MIDI note inside region x. When I hit the right arrow key again, it selects the next MIDI note immediately to the right of the selected one, etc.. so as expected.

I noticed that when I first open the Piano Roll up, the name of the region is not in the title bar of the window...though the data of that region is somewhere in the window (but not centered, must be scrolled to). It appears that the Piano Roll is in key focus, but that it hasn't locked into the pre-selected region x yet...it isn't officially editing that region yet.

Oh ok I see: your Piano Roll is showing you the same thing as your Arrange area, and not the contents of a specific region. If you look at the Piano Roll bar ruler, you can see the project start/end markers, instead of the region start/end marker, correct? What link mode is it in and which version of Logic are you running? Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

This seems to be the case because when I hit the right arrow and it jumps to the data of the next region, region y...the data of region y is centered in the window and the name of the region appears in the title bar. The Piano Roll has now locked into Region editing mode. Further right arrow clicks cycle through the note events.

Correct, that's the expected behavior when the Piano Roll is in content link mode: selecting a region in the Arrange displays its contents in the Piano Roll.

Oh ok I see: your Piano Roll is showing you the same thing as your Arrange area, and not the contents of a specific region. If you look at the Piano Roll bar ruler, you can see the project start/end markers, instead of the region start/end marker, correct? What link mode is it in and which version of Logic are you running? Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

Thanks, David. I've updated my signature. Specs should read below. Also, I get this same result whether content link is on or off (in the Piano Roll window).

When I first open a Piano Roll Window (image 1 below), my ruler does show the entire project start and end markers, instead of the region start and end markers. It does however, have a blue vertical line representing the start of that region, using the color of the region. There is no similar line for the end of the region.

If I use the little trick of double-tapping F to open and close a floating Event List---in order to "lock" the Piano Roll into editing mode for that exact region---the ruler DOES change to only show the start and end markers of the region (image 2 below). Note the change in the title bar, the scroll bar, and even the little box under the quantize button showing the region name. And then the first time I hit the right arrow, it stays focused on that region and simply selects the next note event...as desired.

As you can imagine, I need to see image 2 as soon as I open the Piano Roll.

Thanks again for hanging with me here!

1374773672_Uponopening.png.d37d79ef24a69ef4f94dff5646779116.png

What the Piano Roll looks like upon opening, before hitting any keys.

1210623030_Afterlocking.png.3248967541ddf43d6d9e3c98f8935a46.png

What the Piano Roll looks like once it has "locked" on the region, either by double-tapping F or letting it skip to the next region.