My demo songs...

David Nahmani

I like it - especially the instruments/programming

See, now I can't help but have my artistic paranoia kick in, and read the quoted statement as "Boy do those vocals suck!". :mrgreen:

Which I would pretty much agree with by the way. That's one of the main reason why I feel the need to retrack everything, and since I don't have the time, nothing has happened lately!

And in the meantime I have written quite a few new songs since! And I am now much more comfortable with my vocal abilities as well. At the time I recorded those demos I didn't know what I was doing with my voice and all I was thinking while singing is to get the pitch right, and now when I listen back I think it sounds like... well.. some guy fighting to get the pitch right!

David,

i find your vocals very interesting. now i have no choice but mix something for you just to prove my case... LOL

BTW; i have a great Neumann and VIPRE ... you will sound bigger than life if you want to rerecord your vox.

Bal

• 4 months later...
Wow, thanks a lot for the very kind words. I can't listen to those demos anymore, I think they sound horrible, my voice is horrible, the drum programming sucks, the guitars sound tiny... I guess we are our worse critics sometimes... but it's refreshing to read those compliments, so thank you!

don't be so hard on yourself :)

on the other hand..I just finished a project....client, loved it, producer loved it....then. of course, they played it for one of the 'cool kids' in the office (I think he's 22)...he didn't get it :) (it was a compilation/edit of two songs...Just Go, and Surf Cruise, from my website..specifically written to 'poke fun' a bit at the genre...) I guess I don't know what 'modern' surf music is these days...I'm a child of the 70's, surfing in Cocoa Beach...

funny part...most of the drums were from RMX and some overdubs on my part....Bass is Trilogy, and gtrs are 80% live.....

http://helldogmusic.com/listen.htm

:)

>

> > "0 - 47 secs: synth patch is cheap sounding on the

> > "surf feel", drum machine is totally goofy. All

> > those silly fills with cheesy drum patches. If

> you

> > are going for surf, make it sound like surf music,

> > not chintzy

> >

> > 47 - 1:00 secs: the guitar riff is LAME.

> > Completely generic and tired. Something edgier

> > 1:00 - 1:10 secs: this is a little better,

> although

> > still very safe

> > 1:00 - 1:32 secs: back to lame riff, I can't

> stand

> > when the keyboard comes in. Also, so repetitive

> > 1:32 - 1:43 secs: I liked this a lot - more like

> > this, driving but not cheesy

> > 1:46 - end secs: back to lame "surf" synth

> > theme - same comments as above.

> >

> > We need this to be edgier, heavier, decent midi"

> >

the Cool Kid

Hey I love those! Just listened to Just Go and Surf Cruise.. great production! The drums in Just Go sound very good!

I say great job! If the kid wants another synth patch, it should be easy to change it for maybe something with more growl, like a distorted B3 kind of sound. Of course it's not the same genre anymore. But make the client happy, right?