Psytrance Bassline Sound?

Straight to the point... I am in the middle of producing a psytrance song, but not like the full on stuff, more like this

The hard hitting, punchy, yet chilled bass. After much trial and error I cannot find the right sound for the life of me. Any idea's as to how to get the great bass sound? I have plugins like Massive, Albino 3, Predator FX but no luck as of yet.

Help would be much appreciated.

I think these psytrance basses are usually a couple of stacked saw waves with a fast filter envelope (short decay).

I made a quick patch which I think gets somewhere close in the ES2. The filter movement doesn't sound quite as "chewy" though. I built in some modulation with the modwheel so you can make the sound "move". I think that's a fairly vital part of it. If you don't have a keyboard, you can program modwheel data in a region's hyperdraw.

Psytrance Bass.pst

I think these psytrance basses are usually a couple of stacked saw waves with a fast filter envelope (short decay).

I made a quick patch which I think gets somewhere close in the ES2. The filter movement doesn't sound quite as "chewy" though. I built in some modulation with the modwheel so you can make the sound "move". I think that's a fairly vital part of it. If you don't have a keyboard, you can program modwheel data in a region's hyperdraw.

That's a nice sounding bass sound - thanks for posting!

• 4 weeks later...

Most psytrance basslines synthesis wise are pretty basic.

One saw, one LP filter, each with its own enveloppe, short decay for the filter, longer for the amp. Adjust to taste of course. Don't forget to play with the velocity and note length.

ES1 is the Logic synth I like for this. But tbh any proper synth will do the job. The ones you have are more than capable to shake all hippiess butt in the dancefloor :D

IIRC Cosmosis has a free bank for Albino. And a few tips as well.

http://cosmosis.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/bassline-basics

Most of the sounds comes from the processing after the synth imho. The way you eq it, play with the dynamics, maybe some drive etc

That said, the kick plays a big part in the bass sound as well. A good bass is good because together with the kick they form a firm basement for the rest of the track.

Also it depends on the style, a bass from Digital Talk or A Team won't sound like one from Kindzadza. In the progressive side, they have subbier basses as well since they use fewer but longer notes.

In the example you posted, I think the above is a good start.

Archived