2 Newbie Questions

p.policar

Hey all,

another day another newb so thanks in advance for your help :)

i have 2 questions:

1. i use logic's built in software instruments alot and im jst wondering is there a way to shift up/down the velocity of a track all at once? ie, in the hyper editor under 'all velocities', i can click and drag one note higher or lower, and make go 'louder/softer'....now is it possible for me to select all notes from that section in that track and shift it up by the same amount? reason i ask is because ive played something that i think is too soft and id like to increase the loudness of my playing without messing with the gain...

ive done this before! but i dont know if it was a fluke, cause now when i try to do it (command a, then click and drag) it's always stuck....

2. ive been searching the forums and realize that there are alot of threads on this, but i still dont understand.. my mix in logic is always too soft... each individual track would be below 0db but the ending mix would go over that (which makes sense), and cause clipping....i would then lower the stereo out gain until the clipping ceases but in the end the mix would get really soft.ive tried compressors and limiters but they change the dynamic of my song (ie. quiet down right before and after a deep bass drum hit)

the curious thing is, if i lower the stereo out channel and increase the output on my audio interface, i get the exact sound/loudness/fullness i want! if only i cant capture whatever is going out of my monitors and record that as is....but surely theres a 'software' method of getting this sound?

right now its really annoying, whenever i upload to soundcloud/youtube etc, the volume is always way too soft.

i would appreciate you guys' help on this....thanks in advance again :)

Phil

Hello,

It's better not to post two unrelated questions in the same thread....well, it's in the forum guidelines. :wink:

There's several ways to change the velocity on a group of notes all at once...here's one:

-Select the region or group of regions, and adjust the velocity using the velocity parameter in the region parameters box in the inspector.

J.

2. ive been searching the forums and realize that there are alot of threads on this, but i still dont understand.. my mix in logic is always too soft... each individual track would be below 0db but the ending mix would go over that (which makes sense), and cause clipping....i would then lower the stereo out gain until the clipping ceases but in the end the mix would get really soft.ive tried compressors and limiters but they change the dynamic of my song (ie. quiet down right before and after a deep bass drum hit)

the curious thing is, if i lower the stereo out channel and increase the output on my audio interface, i get the exact sound/loudness/fullness i want! if only i cant capture whatever is going out of my monitors and record that as is....but surely theres a 'software' method of getting this sound?

right now its really annoying, whenever i upload to soundcloud/youtube etc, the volume is always way too soft.

Unfortunately, most of the ways of getting your track to sound "louder" do involve compression, and that means you'll lose some dynamic range. The trick is to find a compressor and a setting that is relatively "transparent" and doesn't make the sound too squashed. Try using Logic's Multipressor, which can compress different bands of frequencies in different ways.

Or alternatively, get used to the fact that your tracks don't sound as loud as commercial mixes, and instead enjoy the dynamic range you like so much. Just turn up your speakers, as you say! -> best option IMHO :)

Haha, I'm a newbie too, but these are actually questions I can answer!

1. In piano roll, select the velocity tool at the top right. I like to set mine to the right mouse button.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2wef56w.png

Now, drag across all the notes you want to change the velocity of. Alternately, hit Cmd-A to select all the notes in your piano roll region. Now, right-click on a note and hold, dragging the mouse up or down. Alternately, Cmd+left click and do the same.

Let me know if this works! It's very fast once you get used to it.

2. This old topic of mine might be helpful. Check out the second half.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57300&highlight=

hey all, thanks heaps for the replies!

ach

so there really isnt a way to boost the volume of my tracks without using compressors??

:(:(:(

ive been reading up on mastering...it seems like a really long process....i wonder how kanye managed to pump out those good friday songs weekly....

also, i tried the cmnd a then click and drag the velocities in the hyper editor, wont work! it gets stuck....

If it seems to get stuck, that's because one of the notes you have selected has topped out at 127. To overcome this hold option along with whatever method you are using to get the velocity tool.

Another way to get the velocity tool is to hold control+command,

Archived