Vocals sound great in real life, but not when I record.

Hello everyone, my vocals sound great when I rap them aloud, but when I go to record them in logic its a different thing, I don't sound out all like I sound in person and its very frustrating, because I want to put this stuff out, so I can take the next step. I'm thinking it might be my "bedroom style setup" and the fact that my engineering knowledge is extremely limited coupled with the fact I don't have an engineer at all.

Setup - Mac desktop, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, and Blue Bluebird Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone ran through Logic 9, In a large room with an extremely high ceiling and no sound proofing.

I want to sound exactly how I sound in real life in my recording as well is this possible? Is this possible with a home setup? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and book some time at a professional recording studio so I get quality recordings and an engineer who knows what he's doing.

Any suggestions for bring out the best in my setup? I'm definitely going to build and soundproof a booth.

my vocals sound great when I rap them aloud.

As judged by whom ?

I want to sound exactly how I sound in real life in my recording as well is this possible?

Truth be told, this actually is how you sound in real life, to anyone except yourself.

book some time at a professional recording studio so I get quality recordings and an engineer who knows what he's doing.

Never a bad thing in and of itself, used much too seldom nowadays. But in the end will only help you to accept the fact that you sound different from the outside.

Christian

my vocals sound great when I rap them aloud.

As judged by whom ?

I want to sound exactly how I sound in real life in my recording as well is this possible?

Truth be told, this actually is how you sound in real life, to anyone except yourself.

book some time at a professional recording studio so I get quality recordings and an engineer who knows what he's doing.

Never a bad thing in and of itself, used much too seldom nowadays. But in the end will only help you to accept the fact that you sound different from the outside.

Christian

Judge by other people I'll be working with in the studio at the moment I'm not the only who raps, but I can definitely rap I'm from queens, I'm black, and I've been rapping all my life LOL not that means anything but definitely don't suck....I could prove it to you if you live in NYC.

I was recording a freestyle yesterday and during recording I was rapping the verse way faster than I would normally would when just rapping aloud. Pretty sure logic didn't warp the bpm/tempo of the beat.

Your probably right though I'm going to have to continue recording until I get used to the sound of my on voice.

Everyone I played if for yesterday though was like WTF is that you don't sound like that, do it out loud.

Regarding the tempo/being off tempo, perhaps you have some latency in your system. Try setting your buffer size low while recording.

The room (not being treated) and the microphone (to a smaller degree) and change the sound quite a bit. The lack of acoustic treatment can't be corrected later, but once you've treated your room you can use equalizing to correct the frequency balance in your recording.

The sensitivity of the microphone and your proximity to it (or lack of) can change the dynamics of the vocal, making it sound uneven. Practice your microphone technique and use compression.

Now when you say your vocals sound great aloud, are you referring to the sound of your voice (in which case, inverted imagery)? I assume that's not the case since everyone else says you don't sound like that, or else they and/or you don't know what they're/you're talking about.

It sounds like you have some studying to do to learn basic recording, or at least you need to pick up some lingo. If you can be clearer about what your issues are, then people can suggest better fixes.

Now when you say your vocals sound great aloud, are you referring to the sound of your voice (in which case, inverted imagery)? I assume that's not the case since everyone else says you don't sound like that, or else they and/or you don't know what they're/you're talking about.

It sounds like you have some studying to do to learn basic recording, or at least you need to pick up some lingo. If you can be clearer about what your issues are, then people can suggest better fixes.

Hello everyone thanks for the replies sorry for the late response but I was just in a recording session, seems the general consensus on most forums is there's pretty much no substitute for getting used to the sound of your own voice. I'm pretty much going to have to put myself through bootcamp eventually I naturally be able to manipulate my vocals, etc.....

I think this definitely has something to do with it between not being able to animate yourself and the general you better "go hard" your recording now you do psyche yourself out a bit. When I'm not in front of the mic I can emphasize certain lines with exaggerated body movements and I think it helps with the infliction and delivery as ridiculous as that sounds. I was just in a session and apparently the one where I just running through it with one of the lines changed was perfect. -____- (wasn't recording)

I think this definitely has something to do with it between not being able to animate yourself and the general you better "go hard" your recording now you do psyche yourself out a bit. When I'm not in front of the mic I can emphasize certain lines with exaggerated body movements and I think it helps with the infliction and delivery as ridiculous as that sounds. I was just in a session and apparently the one where I just running through it with one of the lines changed was perfect. -____- (wasn't recording)

Sorry, I didn't quite get that. You might get by with little grammar and punctuation, but I certainly don't.

Christian

When I'm not in front of the mic I can emphasize certain lines with exaggerated body movements and I think it helps with the infliction and delivery as ridiculous as that sounds.

Doesn't sound ridiculous at all. Maybe you need to sing into a hand-held mic (for example SM57) so that you can continue moving the same way while recording. Anything that'll capture the same exact performance you do when you sing live.

Sorry, I didn't quite get that. You might get by with little grammar and punctuation, but I certainly don't.

Christian

Yo, Yo ... Mus I break evryting down fo ya fuzzy dawgfizzle?

Da homie sez he be psychizzled to animizzle in order to emphizizzle.

All that helps with the infliction ( I'll let you look that one up).

When I'm not in front of the mic I can emphasize certain lines with exaggerated body movements and I think it helps with the infliction and delivery as ridiculous as that sounds.

Doesn't sound ridiculous at all. Maybe you need to sing into a hand-held mic (for example SM57) so that you can continue moving the same way while recording. Anything that'll capture the same exact performance you do when you sing live.

Like this David?

>

Like this David?

>

im speechless. That first chorus is ummmm, what the....???

There may be more musically offensive stuff but i had to quit on it.

Ah, the emptiness of spirit thru the aquisition of bling & pussy.

Are there still rappers with meaningful lyrics? Or have they all been bribed by the white mans' money? When in Rome, be as decadent, fat and indolent as the Romans?

When in Rome, set it alight!

I'm a big fan of The Roots, though some say they sold out, being Jimmy Fallon's house band now and all… K'naan has said meaningful lyrics, though that may just be that he hasn't been around enough to be corrupted…

(I don't sound cynical at all here, do I?)

Archived