Can't get "natural" symbol to appear in score edit

polihymnia

I am using the score editor to input notes from a printed musical score and am working in the key of C minor (with an automatic A flat, B flat, and E flat). However, one measure calls for an accidental A-natural (with the appropriate little symbol), and I cannot, for the life of me, seem to find a "natural" symbol or get a "natural" symbol to appear on the score. I've selected the note and clicked on the Attributes, Accidentals drop-down menus, but no matter what I click after that--enharmonic shift #, enharmonic shift b, flats to sharps, sharps to flats, force accidental, guide accidental, etc., etc.--I cannot make a "natural" symbol appear on the score next to the A note. I also tried clicking on the note and selecting all the various options in the Note Attributes menu, but there's still no natural symbol and no equivalent either.

Is this a bug or am I missing something here? :?

Thanks! That worked.

Now, I'm having trouble with the notes I pick from the parts box turning into something entirely different. For example, I drag a dotted quarter note, and it turns into a half note. Then I drag the eighth note that's supposed to go after the dotted quarter note, and both notes become quarter notes. Do you know what might be causing this? I thought it might have something to do with the quantize settings. I have them set to 16th notes, so I don't see why that would cause a dotted quarter note to become a half note or an eighth note to become a quarter note.

That's Interpretation.

You can defeat interpretation under the Attributes Tab and in the Inspector,but as soon as you place the 8th note in the right place the dotted quarter will display as expected.

Interpretation enables parts played in a perfomance to be displayed in a readable way without loads of spurious rests.

For example,a series of staccato 4ths without a gazillion 8th and 16th rests between them.

Okay.... I'm not finding good news on the issue of tying two notes together in the score editor. I was able to do it by going into the piano roll editor (which scares me) and deleting the second note and extending the duration of the first note by dragging. That made the graphic appear correctly in the score editor. But I don't like this method! It would be more intuitive to be able to select two notes in the score editor, double-click, and get the option to tie two notes together! That would make sense.

Another problem I see--and I don't know what this is called in music notation--is how to tie two notes together for flow of playing. Say the score I'm copying here for learning purposes has two different notes, both of which are meant to be played, but they have a bar connecting them. If I'm interpreting this correctly, they would be played in a connected, flowing way. Is there any way to put that kind of bar above and between two notes?

Slurs are in the Parts box with the cescendos.

By 'tying' 2 notes together you're effectively gluing them together,which you could also do in the Piano roll.

In Score you just need to select the right value in advance and place it properly,or as you already know,lengthen/shorten in Piano Roll.

Thanks again! I found the slur in the parts box, as you said, and was able to place it with no problem (had forgotten it was called a "slur").

And now, I believe I understand how to do the tie in the score editor. You just pick a note that would be held for the same period of time (in this case, it was a dotted half note), and when placed at the end of the measure, it appears graphically as a half note tied to a quarter note (matching the score I'm referencing).

Really appreciate the help! :)

Umm, okay, sorry to be a bother, but I'm not finding much about this in the help reference and online.

The song has a repeat at the end and an alternate ending. I figured how to insert the repeat sign and the number "1." with the bar, to indicate the first ending. However, I'm not finding how to create the 2nd ending w/o creating another entire measure--which would screw up the time allotment. The second ending only takes up two beats, not a whole measure. I want the score editor to show that endings 1 and 2 are versions of the same measure, rather than create a new measure. Is this possible?

Also, it appears that Logic playback does not head the repeat signs. That is, I guess, for playback, it only goes by what's in the arrange window, not what's in the score. So, if I want this song to play correctly, it appears that I have to depart from the actual score by not using the repeat signs and alternate ending symbols, but rather just going ahead and adding a bunch of new measures for the second ending. Is this a correct assessment?

Also, it appears that Logic playback does not head the repeat signs. That is, I guess, for playback, it only goes by what's in the arrange window, not what's in the score. So, if I want this song to play correctly, it appears that I have to depart from the actual score by not using the repeat signs and alternate ending symbols, but rather just going ahead and adding a bunch of new measures for the second ending. Is this a correct assessment?

Correct.

It could be due to a lack of knowledge, but when I'm writing a piece to be played live, I need to have two projects; one that sounds right and one that looks right.

Nope, not a lack of knowledge at all.

Logic doesn't play repeat signs entered into the score. They're graphical in nature only. Score markup. Not "sequencer instructions" (sadly).

There was a facility, using meta events, to get parts to repeat during playback. Unfortunately they (the devs) broke this functionality with (I believe) Logic 8.

Nope, not a lack of knowledge at all.

Logic doesn't play repeat signs entered into the score. They're graphical in nature only. Score markup. Not "sequencer instructions" (sadly).

There was a facility, using meta events, to get parts to repeat during playback. Unfortunately they (the devs) broke this functionality with (I believe) Logic 8.

:roll: Well, not much call for the score editor amongst bedroom dubstep producers I guess...

Archived