My tip of the day:Noisegate on Master for smoother playback

Just found out that if I put a silver gate as last plug on master bus with 100 ms or so attack and release and really low threshold (like -80), the operation becomes much nicer. Instead of sound exploding into my face when I press play, It fades up in a nice way.

cheers

claesbjo

Well, with a threshhold of -80 db I don´t think it´s the end of the world if you forget to bypass the gate at mixdown..

Maybe it works at even lower thrshlds..? I just find it sounding so much more musical , since there always is a small clicky sound when you press play or skips with the ruler bar..

Makes me think that it would be cool if there was an option to have tape-like operation with a definable speed up and slow down fade at start and stop. Or maybe thats just too nerdy..

I just tried it and hated it. Just my personal opinion, but when I press play I want to hear the audio under the playhead, not a slow ramping up to the audio that is 100ms after the playhead. I could see where this may come in handy if musicians in the studio want to preview some sections of the song. But for me when editing and/or mixing? No way. It would be like editing a photoshop picture and having each edit slowly fade in rather than be instantaneously visible on my screen. Cool effect for a minute or two, but quickly unbearable if you have to get some work done.

I tried it by placing the playhead at the beginning of a bar where an acoustic guitar was strumming. Without the noise gate I can clearly hear the first attack of the first guitar chord, just the same as all the attacks of all the other chords. With the noise gate the first attack is smoothed out.

What should sound like

ThchaKa TchaKa TchaKa

now sounds like

shhhwwwaKa TchaKa ThcaKa

Argh. :? I don't like it! :lol:

Just found out that if I put a silver gate as last plug on master bus with 100 ms or so attack and release

I wonder what the long release does? I suspect it won't change anything at all.

No, since the gate is always active due to to low threshold, I dont think it matters what release you have. I noticed that my method only smooths starts, not stops, regardless of release time.

cheers

Claes

And why shouldn't you create this "fade up" by a simple line of volume automation? I don't get this "trick" at all... it is to be eased into something so loud it would startle otherwise? Then I'd say something else is called for - like turning the volume down.

i believe that the idea is that this tip will allow for the fade-in, on the fly, and happen at any point you move the cursor or play from.....it isn't a feature of the piece, itself

And why shouldn't you create this "fade up" by a simple line of volume automation? I don't get this "trick" at all... it is to be eased into something so loud it would startle otherwise? Then I'd say something else is called for - like turning the volume down.

i believe that the idea is that this tip will allow for the fade-in, on the fly, and happen at any point you move the cursor or play from.....it isn't a feature of the piece, itself

Ah, I see... but still...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5214/5387436346_f8633070be_m.jpg

• 3 years later...