Have Logic 9 and Condenser Mic; is my old MBox enough?

Hello All,

I used to use an original MBox back in the day to hook my Rode 1080 Condenser mic to my PC with ProToos. I just recently got a new mac with Logic 9 and an Axiom 61 Pro and midi recording is going swimmingly. Now all I need to do is figure out how to record audio. Is my old MBox the right guy for the job or should I buy something new? I've heard the original MBox has some latency issues...any one have suggestions for what I should use to connect my mic to the mac? Thanks!

i used an old Mbox for awhile and it worked fine. The problem was getting it to work with Logic. took a bit of poking around to figure it out and get the right drivers. once I got it running it was fine (until my daughter dropped it on a concrete floor). :D

Thanks for the reply; and sorry about the concrete ;)

I'd prefer something more plug and play so I'm probably better off getting a new audio interface: do you (or anyone) have any suggestions? Basically I'm just doing singer/songwriter stuff and have only been recording myself singing / playing guitar with that one mic, but its probably better to get something with more than two inputs in case I ever want to record more people at once right? Also, I'm very precise about mixing stuff, so is it worth it for me to get an audio interface that's also a mixer if I'm still going to be doing a lot of mixing inside logic? I guess my criteria could be as follows:

--At least relatively plug and play

--A good number of inputs (see above)

--Includes good mixing functionality (if that would be useful to me: see above)

--Under $1000

Any good devices fit that criteria? I'm a total new with gear, so thanks everyone!

Thanks Jordito,

That seems a bit pricey but looks really awesome. I noticed that you have Apogee Duet in your sig and others have mentioned that interface as well, is there a specific reason your not recommending that? (or maybe its not the same kind of device?)

Okay, I see; so the RME can handle more inputs. I'm looking at the pictures of the fireface and I'm a little confused about what they all mean (I'm a newb...sorry). The image I am looking at is here: http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_fireface_400_1b.jpg

At first glance it looks like this still only has two mic inputs (the big holes match the wire on the end of my condenser mic for instance). Could you help me to understand what each slot is eventually used for if you had a full rig (or point me to some reading material)? I'm reading the description of the product but don't know enough of the jargon yet to understand what everything really means. Thanks.

Okay, I see; so the RME can handle more inputs. I'm looking at the pictures of the fireface and I'm a little confused about what they all mean (I'm a newb...sorry). The image I am looking at is here: http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_fireface_400_1b.jpg

At first glance it looks like this still only has two mic inputs (the big holes match the wire on the end of my condenser mic for instance). Could you help me to understand what each slot is eventually used for if you had a full rig (or point me to some reading material)? I'm reading the description of the product but don't know enough of the jargon yet to understand what everything really means. Thanks.

In that case it may be more than you need. if you're really interested you could download the fireface's manual to learn all about it's features in detail.

I just realized I missed what you wrote about "mixing functionality" and misinterpreted it and ended recommending the fireface because of the amount of I/O (inputs and outputs), its Totalmix software, and its quality, of course.

Also take a look at MOTU and Presonus interfaces...in that order :wink:

J.

Archived